MBP Blank Screen, PRAM Reset does not work, need other suggestions

Reaction score
Hey everyone, whenever my friend turns on his MBP, you can hear the Apple chime and the little noises the precede it. However, the screen remains blank.

The white light is solid, and the battery light is on as well.

Keys are functioning, as F3 and F4 are still increasing/decreasing in volume.

I tried doing the PRAM reset, however, nothing has changed.

Can anyone explain the cause of this problem?

Are there any suggestions to fix this, or is Apple care the only way to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
i'm experiencing pretty much the exact same problem.
my problem came about when disconnecting from an external display. ihad a dvi output, a usb input, an optical audio output,the power cable and a bluetooth keyboard connected. itook out the connections and opened the laptop to be met with ablank screen, this problem sometimes occurred so i was used to doing a hard reset to resolve the issue.
on doing so on this occassion iam met with ablack screen and the standby light remains constantly lit. it is lit very dimly when the screenis open and full brightness when the screen is closed. ihave performed both the smc reset and the pram reset but the problem persists.
something curious i have noticed similar to yourself the laptop remains partially functional, it still outputs sound when erroneous keys are pressed etc. the odd thing is though is that it only outputs through the optical connection i had connected before the problem started. if itake out the optical speaker cable sound isnt produced through the inbuilt speakers.
if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, apologies for any spelling or grammer errors as im typing this out letter by letter on my playstation3

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I am experiencing the same thing. I can put my problem mac in target mode, and boot off the drive that way, but when booting locally to that disk I see nothing, no ping or other services come up.

lid latch light is on dimly, brightly when it is closed..

please help

Reaction score
i thought i killed my friends computer - moments before he needed it to dj

i had the same issue. my friend said he was having issues with his macbook. being mr. know-it-all, i recommended he reset his pram. this caused his computer to stall on a blank screen.

luckily we solved the issue by "safe starting" the computer.

to do this, simply hold down "Q" while manually restarting your machine.

good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
To the original poster, sounds like a hardware fault, and if under warranty or Applecare it should go to an AASP. Not sure what model you have, if older could be the NVIDIA problem, an AASP could run a test. Does it display OK on an external monitor? Could be logic board, left i/o audio board or even display clamshell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.