MBP: Battery not Calibrated when bought, wrong?

Reaction score
hey guys, so i bought a macbook pro 15 2.8ghz exactly a month ago, but i didn't know about the calibration thing (new mac user)
i only knew about the calibration today, so does this affect the life of the battery?
thanks guys and please reply coz this is my third thread that no body answers any of my questions :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The calibration should be performed once a month to obtain maximum battery life.

In saying that, I have had my battery for over 2yrs, calibrated it only a few times, and have gone through over 320 cycles, and still have 95% capacity.

Calibrating seems to work in reverse for me, as each time I do it, my battery capacity drops a little. Last 2 times I calibrated took it from 98%-96%, and then 96%-95%. LOL

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Batteries are not an exact science. There is no completely accurate way to meter the charge, which is part of what happens during calibration. Instead, the SMC in your Mac will make an educated guess about its health, capacity and longevity. Calibrating helps educate the SMC about your battery, but also stirs the electrons a bit and can lengthen its useful life.

Not doing it right away is not going to make much, if any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
cwa107, I can see that this subject is really close to your heart, posting it twice! LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.