MBP 17 - 13' First boot up - Progress bar loads til 1/4 of the way, shuts down before boots normally

Reaction score
Hi all
Been having this issue for a while, been heavily troubleshooting the issue for the last few weeks while I've been home.

Have a Macbook pro 2017, running HS as of now.
Issues started when I first upgraded firmware it seems with kernel panics when lid was close but last 2 months, an issue on the boot up where the progress bar loads 1/4 of the way and suddenly crashes in the same position keeps happening.
It's usually when I turn off the MacBook for more than 1 hour and turn it back on, most of the time if I turn it off and turn it back on straight away it will boot as normal the first time.
Once it crashes and Problem message appears on the second time , its usually fine to run and logins ok which makes me think that its a HD issue trying to boot up other disk and fails .

More background on MacBook - it was eligible for an SSD firmware update in an apple technician shop, I gave that Mac in for a few hours and it was done, however he said he didn't have to wipe the SSD even though its claimed on the apple site- https://support.apple.com/en-ie/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service it was fine for a few days and than crashes started happening again .

Troubleshooting so far ( some multiple times)
SMC/ PRAM Reset.
Formatted HD and reinstalled OS- few times at this stage, currently at original HS
Internet recovery OS install ( which everything was fine for a 2/3 days)
first aid on disk utility.
ram test using third party software.
changed energy saving services
booted in safe mode ( on hs as well as catalina as I saw booting in safe mode in Catalina doesn't have the same effect as in previous OS..

Spoke to an apple senior advisor who advised it might be the logic board which is an expensive replacement however I don't feel like thats the case and as the issue doesn't interrupt my normal use of the Mac once its turned on and running.
Little part of me though he had something to do with bluetooth amazon mouse I purchased a while ago but this was only a little part of me and don't believe it could be the reason after all the troubleshooting I've done, anyone experience issue with bluetooth devices when pair to your Mac?
I wanted to attach a log of the start up this morning but for some reason it wasn't contained in the log when I pulled it up in terminal. the start of it was when I turned it and logged in successfully.
Any help on my issue would be appreciated , thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

More background on MacBook - it was eligible for an SSD firmware update in an apple technician shop, I gave that Mac in for a few hours and it was done, however he said he didn't have to wipe the SSD even though its claimed on the apple site- https://support.apple.com/en-ie/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service it was fine for a few days and than crashes started happening again .

Was this an Apple directed firmware update? Also I believe the SSD is the type that is soldered to the logic board and can not be changed without replacing the logic board.

It certainly appears from your input that the firmware update may have caused the problems you're having. You probably should contact Apple support and ask for assistance. Is your MBP still covered by Apple Care? If it is, Apple should be able to repair it for you at no charge.

Apple Stores are currently closed but Apple has a mail in repair service which is no cost to you. (Assuming your MBP is still under warranty.)

OP
L
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Was this an Apple directed firmware update? Also I believe the SSD is the type that is soldered to the logic board and can not be changed without replacing the logic board.

It certainly appears from your input that the firmware update may have caused the problems you're having. You probably should contact Apple support and ask for assistance. Is your MBP still covered by Apple Care? If it is, Apple should be able to repair it for you at no charge.

Apple Stores are currently closed but Apple has a mail in repair service which is no cost to you. (Assuming your MBP is still under warranty.)

Hi chscag, thanks for replying :) It was apple directed, I read on a forum that if your model of Mac was eligble , the technician would check if it needed replacement fully if so it would be sent off, if not a firmware update would be done. Sorry if I wasn't clear, the issue was happening before however I'm not sure if it was done correctly as the issue hadn't been fixed.
I don't believe it would be in warranty.
I've just installed HS security update patch 2020 , see if that helps, if not it looks like I'm waiting out this Covid stadium and taking it out to a different apple repair shop

When I spoke again to apple again , first advisor suggested to install OS from a USB.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for providing the additional info.

I realize that with this virus keeping us all at home and the Apple Stores closed, it's not as easy to get repairs done.

Go ahead and follow the Apple advisor's suggestion, but if that doesn't work, contact them again and ask to have your MBP repaired. I suspect the SSD in your MBP may be failing and since it is non removable, it would require an entire logic board swap out. Apple should be willing to do that work at no cost to you since the problem is at their end not yours.

If you have no luck with Apple support or they are unwilling to do the work at no cost to you, you may be able to find a repair service who can replace the SSD for you.

Replacing that SSD is not an easy job and requires special soldering tools and skills. However, depending on where you live, there may be a specialized repair shop who can do the work for you at a reasonable cost.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for providing the additional info.

I realize that with this virus keeping us all at home and the Apple Stores closed, it's not as easy to get repairs done.

Go ahead and follow the Apple advisor's suggestion, but if that doesn't work, contact them again and ask to have your MBP repaired. I suspect the SSD in your MBP may be failing and since it is non removable, it would require an entire logic board swap out. Apple should be willing to do that work at no cost to you since the problem is at their end not yours.

If you have no luck with Apple support or they are unwilling to do the work at no cost to you, you may be able to find a repair service who can replace the SSD for you.

Replacing that SSD is not an easy job and requires special soldering tools and skills. However, depending on where you live, there may be a specialized repair shop who can do the work for you at a reasonable cost.

View attachment logcrash.rtf.zip View attachment logcrash.rtf.zip

just able to attach the log file of an example, theres 1 fault that relates to Kernel: (IOAcceleratorFamily2) bool IOAccelDisplayPipe2

anyone know a little bit more about that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.