MBA with broken screen needs to be reinstalled

M

MacInWin

My SIL has a MacBook Air, Late-2010, model 3,1 with Yosemite. The screen is totally duff (the liquid has leaked out of the LCDs!) but it works well with an external monitor attached, so he's using it for my grandchildren to have a computer. But now the internal drive is showing errors and needs to have the OS reinstalled. But with no screen, we both think the prompts won't be visible. So, anybody have any suggestions on how to reinstall Yosemite in this situation?

I don't need advice on the value of the system (about $300 if it worked), or how to replace the display (been to ifixit.com already), or to buy a new one (it's for kids to learn, not a serious machine, so getting something isn't really practical). All I need is suggestions on if and how the OS can be reinstalled using an external monitor, given that the internal screen is not working at all.

So, can the OS be reinstalled to an MBA using an external monitor only? And can the MBA be put in target mode at all? (i.e, is the video port on that particular device suitable for a Thunderbolt cable to enable using another Mac to install in target mode?)

Gurus, now is your chance!

OP
M

MacInWin

How in the world did this end up in THIS forum? I never visit here, clearly was in the Laptop forum. Can a mod please move this to where it should be?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Sure sure, that's what they all say as they post in the wrong sub-forums! :)

Jake, this thread from a while back suggests that running the MBA in clamsell mode might make it use the external monitor for everything including the installation.

OP
M

MacInWin

Ashwin, I'm standing by my story. Even if I'm wrong, I'm right!

And thanks for the link. I sent that to my SIL to see if that works for him.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm working from memory here but I think I've done it that way. Since the internal screen isn't working it's probably best to connect the external screen before even booting the machine.

OP
M

MacInWin

Thanks, I've passed the information to him. No word back yet. When I do hear from him on it, I'll let everyone know how it went.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The clamshell mode idea should work. Fingers crossed.:)

- Nick

OP
M

MacInWin

Thanks to all, it worked! MBA back in order, grands are happy, SIL happy. Grandad is a hero (with backers).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'll be expecting my payment anytime in the mail now..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.