MBA USB-C to HDMI output

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Sorry for posting this here, but couldn't find a precise forum that covered my problem. I have a MacBook Pro Retina with a HDMI output. The MacBook Pro Retina allowed me to plug a HDMI lead into one of the 4 HDMI on my TV so I could mirror my MacBook Pro to my 40" TV. However, I'd given my MacBook Pro Retina to my wife. I have a 10 months old MacBook Air Retina which as members will be aware only has 2 USB C inputs and a headphone input. I bought a USB C small cable with a HDMI socket at the other end and plugged it into a USB C socket on my TV and plugged a HDMI cable into one of the spare HDMI inputs on my TV, but to my surpriseI got no audio or video.I sent the USB C to HDMI cable back, and bought an adaptor with with multiple inputs, including 2 HDMI. Regretfully that wouldn't work either.

Could anyone tell me why a USB C with HDMI will not let me stream video to my TV.

Jim

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your post was moved into its own thread as it did not belong in the thread you posted it into.

You need a USB-C hub that provides, among other things, the ability to connect devices that support HDMI. You want to make sure that the entire chain follows the necessary requirements. Your TV might require HDMI 1.2 or HDCP and so on and if the cables you've purchased doesn't support those standards, then you won't get anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm curious what USB-C to HDMI adapter you bought. There was another thread recently here where someone had issues using Apple's adapter but was able to resolve it by using one Anker makes. Here's the discussion for full context:

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
What I can't understand is why plugging my wife's MacBook Pro with a HDMI output into one of the vacant HDMI inputs on the old TV works fine, so assumed that I could use one of the USB C sockets with a HDMI input on the other end of the cable wouldn't work. The USB C cable with a HDMI input at the other end was bought from Amazon UK. I've just read the description " USB C to HDMI Adapter, Type c to HDMI 4K Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) with Video Audio Output for MacBook Pro. “USB C to HDMI Adapter, Type c to HDMI 4K Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) with Video Audio Output for MacBook Pro” 2016, 2017, 2018” My wife’s MacBook Pro is mid 2014, hence the reason it won’t work, but it did work before I recently bought a SMART TV. Will read what. I’m buying next time. Though it does say “ A handy adapter that can deliver decent performance from your USB-C device to a monitor or TV."The USB to HDMI cable was a name I've not heard of.

I bought the Hub from Amazon also that was same brand, but after reading Lifeisabeach link to Anker, I will order one now from Amazon and it will arrive tomorrow 3 April 2021. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks to you both for the advice.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Going directly to the HDMI port on a MBP and using an adapter aren't the same. There are TOO many shady adapters/cables that are junk and don't work.

When it comes to these things, I try to stick with brands I've had success with, like Anker.

Do report back on how things go.

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anker USB C to HDMI adaptor did not work. After a bit of reading my Smart TV, I got the TV to install the YouTube app on my Smart TV. Now can watch all YouTube video wirelessly without connecting to TV with USB C to Anker HDMI. This is strange because my wife's MacBook Pro can use a USB 2 lead with HDMI socket and it works fine. I may not have achieved what I wanted, but I'm happy with things as they are now. Way back in 1992 when I started using Mac, I went to a Mac Expo in Earls Court, London. Met the then UK Tech Support Manager for Apple UK who advised if you have a problem with your Mac, but get it to work, don't critically anylise what went wrong, just be glad you have. Didn't exactly achieve what I wanted, but have watched some great artists on YouTube with fantastic picture so more than happy. The Anker USB C to HDMI adapter, went back to Amazon and refunded same day.

Thanks to all who tried to help, but still no idea why the Anker adaptor wouldn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.