MBA 2017 failing to startup - can't see User file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
Hi Crew,

Just bought a a 2nd hand 2017 MBAir 256gb from a friends daughter.

Woke up and thought I'm gonna change this over to my preferences/admin etc .......... without thinking it through first.

I didn't do a reset to clear all her stuff because it has Office for Mac that I wanted to keep. I thought a reset my wipe this.

So I started with Admin, changed the name and thought I'd change the user file ..(no actual reason to do so)..... No I didn't start/make a new user file for me I didn't even select any file. I just browsed.
Without really looking and going over my steps I did the restart as requested. As the MBA shutdown to restart the Admin page was on screen and no user file was selected, maybe just the Mac HD, I'm not sure.

So since that time this MBA has be attempting to start, but I just have the thinking circle doing laps.

Extremely stupid I know but can anyone assist?

I'm sure if I could open it and direct it to the old user file for startup, which I shouldn't have touched, I could be alright. Any advice is would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Blaz

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well first, you technically don't have a license for Office since you didn't purchase it, so you really should remove it..

But beyond that, you can try logging into single user mode by holding CMD+s during power up to see if that'll work. If that doesn't work, you can get into recovery console by holding down CMD+r during power up and do a re-install of the OS to see if that'll put things back in place.

Ideally, you should use recovery console, erase the HD and do a fresh install of macOS and then configure it as you wish. From there, purchase Office for your use or use alternatives like Pages or Libreoffice.

OP
Blazbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well first, you technically don't have a license for Office since you didn't purchase it, so you really should remove it..

But beyond that, you can try logging into single user mode by holding CMD+s during power up to see if that'll work. If that doesn't work, you can get into recovery console by holding down CMD+r during power up and do a re-install of the OS to see if that'll put things back in place.

Ideally, you should use recovery console, erase the HD and do a fresh install of macOS and then configure it as you wish. From there, purchase Office for your use or use alternatives like Pages or Libreoffice.
thanks Ashwin

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Blaz, with respect you did pretty much everything completely wrong. You cannot edit the primary (only) admin account without creating a new one first.
Secondly even if you had used the previous owners admin account to create a new one for yourself it would still be her computer, her Apple email address, her Find My Mac and iCloud account.

As I keep harping, to give, sell or trade in a previously owned device the original owner must follow an easily obtained set of instructions from the web; What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac

The device must be signed out from iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and iCloud then erased with the original macOS installed. If not there will be problems not only for you but her as well.

My suggestion would have been to get your friend's daughter to complete the steps described in the link I provided above. Several of the steps will require her Apple ID and password but that may no longer be possible if she cannot login.

Lastly as a MS Office for MacOS user I can say that without her MS credentials you would not have been able to use Office for very long because it regularity requires the owner of the MS subscription to log into their MS account for updates. If it is a single user licence she will not be able to install Office on any other device either.

So, you now need to erase the device see instructions here: Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Do let us know how you get on, we are here to help and believe me we've all made impulsive mistakes.;)

OP
Blazbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply Rod.
And yes you are correct about my foolish attempt.

I eventually got onto Apple Support (AS). I reloaded Big Sur but still couldn't login. So AS, the 3rd and last person to assist me - they kept dropping out and I had to start agin with each assistant, the last bloke was switched on. Took me through Command line to restart and initiate the Apple Startup/Setup. This worked I just setup as a new user and now I'm up and running.

Thanx all for your assistance/advice(y)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well done you, Apple support takes a little patience too as you have discovered. I'd love to know how he Took you through Command line to restart and initiate the Apple Startup/Setup. Could be a very handy hint for others in a similar situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd love to know how he Took you through Command line to restart and initiate the Apple Startup/Setup. Could be a very handy hint for others in a similar situation.

Good point Rod.
+1, I totally agree...

But the commands are probably lost unless they were written down or very simple to remember.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably true😢

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.