may install catalina. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Forget about carrot ink. They are too expensive and don't seem to have compatible cartridges but instead carry the manufacturer's brand. At least it's that way for Canon.

The other site Randy mentioned "swiftink" carries compatible cartridges at half the price of the manufacturer brand. Again, for Canon.

Reaction score
Forget about carrot ink. They are too expensive and don't seem to have compatible cartridges but instead carry the manufacturer's brand. At least it's that way for Canon.

I put in "Canon MX922" (which is the all-in-one that I have) into the search field on Carrot Ink's Web site and this came up...all five (compatible) cartridges for my MX922 for only $15:

https://www.carrotink.com/canon-pgi-250xl-cli-251xl-5-pack-html.html

Plus, if you subscribe to their newsletter, you get an additional 15% off on top of that! That's somewhere around $2.60 for each high capacity cartridge. They are even less if you purchase more at one time.

Swift Ink charges around $5 each for similar compatible cartridges.

It's really really hard to match Carrot Ink's combination of prices and quality in the U.S.

I've been keeping a database of sources that users have found to offer reliable compatible inkjet cartridges for over a couple of decades. Carrot Ink has been on that list and they have been offering excellent compatible ink cartridges for all that time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's really really hard to match Carrot Ink's combination of prices and quality in the U.S.

That's fine if you happen to live within their Shipping Areas, NOT for people like myself living in Canada:
[IE: QUOTE]International Orders
Carrot Ink only ships to the US, its territories, and US military / diplomatic addresses.[/QUOTE]

PS: I did notice that the prices I paid at the sites I posted have increased a fair bit since I last ordered which was over a year ago for my last triple order for my Canon MX922 (15 cartridges kit https://printoxe.com/). The same cartridges that my previous Canon AIO used but its printhead went all goofy and would print double lines and then skip some. Completely spazzed out!!!

Also be aware as to the cartridges being shipped for the comparison pricing If the cartridges are equivalent as: standard, XL and/or XXL filled cartridges or what some refer to as High Yield. I'm not sure if those are supposed to be XL or XXL???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But sometimes these folks (also for those in the U.S.) have lower prices:

http://www.swiftink.com

WOW... Their prices are at least double compared to most of the other companies I have looked at. Do they use different ink or something I wonder...????

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I put in "Canon MX922" (which is the all-in-one that I have) into the search field on Carrot Ink's Web site and this came up...all five (compatible) cartridges for my MX922 for only $15:

Not for the Pixma TR 8520. They only had the Canon OEM cartridges which are expensive. Unless I did not search properly, that's all they showed.

I just tried again and it still only brought up the Canon OEM cartridges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not for the Pixma TR 8520. They only had the Canon OEM cartridges which are expensive. Unless I did not search properly, that's all they showed.

I just tried again and it still only brought up the Canon OEM cartridges.

I just tried checking out the Carrot Ink site and searched for the replacement cartridges for the Canon Pixma TR 852, they weren't Canon brand but they sure in the **** weren't cheap, heck, they weren't even reasonable:

Canon PGI-280XXL & CLI-281XXL Super High-Yield Compatible Ink Cartridge 5-Pack Combo
$109.95 $69.95
$13.99 per Cartridge

That's getting close to our local Canadian Costco Store price for the Canon brand replacement cartridges.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to buy all our computer stuff in our local Costco store and also supplies for our church. However, ever since Walmart opened a Sams Club walking distance from our home, I just could not see paying for membership for both stores. We now just use Sams Club.

Carrot Ink at least for my Canon printer is not the best place to buy cartridges. The other supplier that Randy mentioned has compatible cartridges for half the price of the Canon OEM ones.

Reaction score
I've had years and years of experience with inkjet printers, and my experience is that Canon makes by far the best ones. They are the only inkjet printers or inkjet AIO's that I recommend. That said, I don't recommend their entire range. Canon makes a bunch of low-end models built to a price point that I would never recommend. (Of course, I say this for just about any brand of device that I recommend.) They even make some models specifically for Walmart. Conversely, Canon's top-end models are usually extremely reasonably priced (especially around the holidays), and a tremendous value.

All inkjet printers will clog their printheads if they aren't used often enough. Canon's tend to clog far less often than other brands. If your Canon does clog, and a deep cleaning doesn't clear it, the better models have easily removable printheads that you can soak overnight in a solution of Windex and alcohol, rinse, and they should be like new. You should never have to throw away a Canon printer because its heads have clogged. Here are the instructions for removing the printheads for the wildly popular Canon MX922:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143853

Consumables (ink cartridges) are ridiculously expensive for any printer (inkjet or laser). Canon is no different in this regard. One of the reasons that I like Canon inkjet printers is that you can purchase brand new third party consumables for a small fraction of the price of OEM consumables, and they are indistinguishable from OEM consumables. I usually recommend this source for consumables for folks in the U.S.:

http://www.carrotink.com/

But sometimes these folks (also for those in the U.S.) have lower prices:

http://www.swiftink.com

DO NOT purchase printer consumables from Amazon! Most of the consumables sold on Amazon are rubbish. Also, DO NOT purchase refilled or re-manufactured consumables. My experience is that the reliability and value just aren't there to make them worth it.
Thank you for all your wisdom and advice. I've saved your links. And of course I have the Canon MX922 because we needed three because we are too lazy and old to keep running up and down stairs. :)

Reaction score
I just tried checking out the Carrot Ink site and searched for the replacement cartridges for the Canon Pixma TR 852, they weren't Canon brand but they sure in the **** weren't cheap, heck, they weren't even reasonable:

Canon PGI-280XXL & CLI-281XXL Super High-Yield Compatible Ink Cartridge 5-Pack Combo
$109.95 $69.95
$13.99 per Cartridge

LOL...Just above this post you had a post that told folks to be careful to compare cartridges based on their size, so that you had an accurate comparison.

The cartridges that you are referring to above come in three sizes. The "XXL" ones are the largest of the three sizes. They are HUGE. So of course they are more money. But they are still a fraction of the price of OEM cartridges. And they are indeed "compatible" cartridges:

https://www.carrotink.com/canon-280xxl-281xxl-small-combo.html

But you can get them for less at Swift Ink (as I said, Swift Ink is cheaper in some cases):

https://www.swiftink.com/product/co...-high-yield-ink-cartridge-5-piece-combo-pack/

As for pricing in Canada...I'm sorry, I don't live in Canada and I don't have resources to point you to in Canada. That doesn't make the resources that I've pointed out in the U.S. bad, it just means that someone has to do some legwork and find an excellent resource in Canada.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@BebeDahling I think I understand some of what you posted. I have the same MacBookPro as you, I think. It's a MBPr, mid-2015, 15" with 16GB of memory. This machine is very speedy and I don't see much delay on any website. You didn't say much about what you or your son have tried to diagnose the issue, but maybe we can help out some. I am running Catalina now, but I ran Mojave for a long time quite successfully.

What, exactly, do you mean by "speed?" Do you mean that when you are surfing the internet pages load slowly? Or that when you do anything using an application the system is sluggish? Those two issues are usually caused by two entirely separate causes or sets of causes. So we need a good description of what you mean by "speed."

You don't have the T2 chip, it is only in newer systems, so that's not the issue.

Well, getting XP to run on a Mac will certainly be an adventure. I doubt there is a good, easy way to do that. However, what kind of data are we talking about? Word documents? Excel spreadsheets? Photos? Most of those kinds of files can be moved easily, depending on how old they are and how far back they go in time. Old Word documents and Excel spreadsheets could be an issue, if the newer version of those products won't open them, but if those documents are even relatively current, Office should work, or one of the free Office-like products should work. Pictures should also be transferrable if they are a standard format like jpg or tif or png. Most of them are.

What Windows software? There may be a Mac equivalent, or replacement available. Windows applications will NOT run in any Mac OS at all.

Does that mean you have a 500GB drive with 168GB of data on it? Or 168GB free? You didn't say, exactly.

But before we start talking action, how about answering some of the questions, eh? running XP on the new desk top .
I won't be running XP on the new Max Desktop. There is a lot of my software that I won't find a Mac equivalent. They are so old I might not be able to find them Win 10.

I have 167.87 GB available of 500.07 GB.

The slow is not programs opening it is getting a webpages loading. Sometimes it says waiting to connect. Sometimes it's waiting for the web page the rest of the time it is just that gray circle that runs counter clockwise and then turns blue and running clockwise as it loads.

Although I did get the spinning beach ball today trying to open Outlook mail, but I had over 1600. I've been about cleaning up daily as I usually do. I feel, got stitches, small concussion so I only looked for emails from family and architect. I did spend the entire day cleaning up emails and unscribing.

I have an email that comes everyday that I never signed up for and has no unsubscribe. I even went to the web site. Grrrrrrr I emailed them, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD., UNSUBSCRIBE ME! I hope that gets somebody's attention.
I did go through all my apps and got rid of any not used and looked up not knowing what they were..
I've emptied all my trash from everywhere. I'm still slow.

How can I find out if my HD is going bad? How can I see the speed that the LT is running. I would think if our internet speed is running my husbands just fine it would be fast enough for both of us at the same time. If not I could bump it up to a larger speed.

Why am I afraid to run the Mac clean up program? It s c a r e s me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL...Just above this post you had a post that told folks to be careful to compare cartridges based on their size, so that you had an accurate comparison.

The cartridges that you are referring to above come in three sizes. The "XXL" ones are the largest of the three sizes. They are HUGE. So of course they are more money. But they are still a fraction of the price of OEM cartridges. And they are indeed "compatible" cartridges:

You are quite right Randy, but what I posted is what their site search provided me with their answer and I sure wasn't going to spend a lot of time to search and compare any other offerings they might have had. I just went with their first hit. Others can do their own searching and probably find a good deal that suits them.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.