mavericks/yosemite?

Joined
Jul 4, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Southern Illinois
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
Hi all, I have another question about OS. I currently have an iMac, 20 inch, early 2009 running mountain lion, 8g memory and a 320 HD, 266 GHz. I always seem to drag my feet about upgrading to new systems (I still love OS 9) but it seems likely I'll need to soon.

So, a couple of questions: Can I upgrade the system on this computer, and if so, which one should I go to? I've read here on Mac forums about so many probs with both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Thanks, Skillet
 

Slydude

Well-known member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
16,709
Reaction score
601
Points
113
Location
North Louisiana, USA
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 12 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Big Sur
That machine can handle any of the newer OS versions including Yosemite. I like many of the new features in Yosemite (especially in conjunction with IOS 8). Mavericks was stable for me as well. I'd say check the features on both and decide which you prefer.

No matter which one you choose I suggest doing the following before installing the upgrade:
1 Check your critical apps to see if any need to be upgraded Application compatibility table - RoaringApps.

2. Make a backup so can revert the system to your current one if need be. A "clone" of the hard drive is best for this but a Time Machine backup can be used assuming the system files are included. The Time Machine backup won't be bootable though.
 

pigoo3

Well-known member
Staff member
Admin
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
43,424
Reaction score
1,012
Points
113
Location
U.S.
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
So, a couple of questions: Can I upgrade the system on this computer, and if so, which one should I go to?

Yes you can upgrade the OS on this iMac. It is capable of running the newest OS available (Yosemite). As far as Mavericks or Yosemite. Unless you've downloaded Mavericks in the past…Mavericks is not an option…since it is no longer available via the App Store. So your only OS upgrade option (from Mountain Lion) is Yosemite.

I've read here on Mac forums about so many probs with both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Just as a theoretical reply. If you've heard/read bad things with both Mavericks & Yosemite…why would you want to upgrade to either of them (especially of you didn't NEED to at the moment)?? Just food for thought!;)

In reality. The problems you've read about are probably from less than 1% of all users. What do you think the other 99% of users of Mavericks & Yosemite are experiencing (no problems)!!!:)

- Nick
 
OP
S
Joined
Jul 4, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Southern Illinois
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
Thanks for the replies, but of course, this brings new questions to my mind:

I can go directly from mountain lion to yosemite?

and

I can get a bootable flash drive on ebay for mavericks--are those not good to use?

Mac OS x Mavericks 10 9 5 Bootable USB Flash Drive Latest | eBay

As for why I want to upgrade: In the past I've stubbornly stuck to systems until they are obsolete, and I thought I may as well go ahead now and upgrade before that happens now. But, I don't really NEED to upgrade at this time. :)

Skillet
 
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
25,564
Reaction score
486
Points
83
Location
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes you can go directly to Yosemite and don't buy Mavericks on a thumb drive. Simply buy your own 8GB thumb drive, download Yosemite, Mavericks is no longer available, and download DiskMaker X and let it do its thing. Will format and make a bootable copy BEFORE you run the Installer.

In this day and age keeping software updated against malware and other threats is very important. Apple has stopped support for Snow Leopard and no doubt Lion will be net and then Moutain Lion no doubt.

Make sure you back everything up to an external drive first and migrate over after install.


http://liondiskmaker.com
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
15,151
Reaction score
599
Points
113
Location
Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
Yes you can upgrade the OS on this iMac. It is capable of running the newest OS available (Yosemite). As far as Mavericks or Yosemite. Unless you've downloaded Mavericks in the past…Mavericks is not an option…since it is no longer available via the App Store. So your only OS upgrade option (from Mountain Lion) is Yosemite.

Just as a theoretical reply. If you've heard/read bad things with both Mavericks & Yosemite…why would you want to upgrade to either of them (especially of you didn't NEED to at the moment)?? Just food for thought!;)

In reality. The problems you've read about are probably from less than 1% of all users. What do you think the other 99% of users of Mavericks & Yosemite are experiencing (no problems)!!!:)

- Nick


There's a possibility that Mavericks may still be available in their App Store area, and if as you say, they want to.

I came across this the other week on a users ML iMac and Mavericks was actually showing with a "Download" button.

The trouble with that 1% of Yosemite users having troubles, that 1% is a huge number of users!!! Just look at all the Yosemite related problem posts on this site alone.

It seems that those that need or want some of Yosemite's benefits are those with iOS 8.x iDevices. I on the other hand find even Mavericks almost overkill for my needs and my older iPad 2 running iOS 7.1.2.
 

pigoo3

Well-known member
Staff member
Admin
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
43,424
Reaction score
1,012
Points
113
Location
U.S.
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
I can go directly from mountain lion to yosemite?

A person with a compatible Mac can go all the way from Snow Leopard (10.6) to Yosemite (10.10). So going from Mountain Lion (10.8) to Yosemite (10.10) is certainly doable as well.:)

I can get a bootable flash drive on ebay for mavericks--are those not good to use?

Yes…I've seen these as well on eBay. Legally I personally have not seen anything against folks doing this (selling Mavericks thumb drives on eBay). But who knows. Maybe because Mavericks (directly from Apple) was FREE…maybe these folks on eBay are not doing anything wrong (but I don't know this for sure 100%). And of course since Mavericks is not currently available via the App Store (for folks that didn't download Mavericks when it was available)…there is certainly a demand for these Mavericks thumb drives sold on eBay.

- Nick
 

pigoo3

Well-known member
Staff member
Admin
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
43,424
Reaction score
1,012
Points
113
Location
U.S.
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
There's a possibility that Mavericks may still be available in their App Store area, and if as you say, they want to.

I came across this the other week on a users ML iMac and Mavericks was actually showing with a "Download" button.

I'm sure we've covered this before (or a situation similar).:)

- If someone did download Mavericks (when it was available)…then Mavericks will continue to be available for them.
- But if a 2nd person NEVER downloaded Mavericks (when it was available)…and wants it now. Then Mavericks for this person…it NOT available now.

With this iMac you saw running Mountain Lion…and Mavericks was showing with a "Download" button…two possibilities may exist for this situation:

1. This person downloaded Mavericks (when it was available)…but never actually ran the installer to actually do the Mavericks OS upgrade.
2. This person may have downloaded Mavericks (when it was available)…they DID do the Mavericks upgrade…but then decided they didn't like it…and went back (downgraded) to Mountain Lion.

- Nick
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
15,151
Reaction score
599
Points
113
Location
Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
Yes Nick, another similar one and with further thought but I can't check, I'll take a guess that the spouse, now since departed, was possibly the App Store user who may have grabbed a copy for his portable MacBook?? use with her iMac, and hence Mavericks is showing. Just an educated guess as she sure didn't.

But she'd sure like to get rid of the #$*&% Yosemite upgrade nag that still pops up occasionally, even though I got rid of it showing in the App Store Update tab some time ago. Just like the cat that kept coming back and couldn't get rid of it!! :(
 

Shop Amazon


Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Top