Mavericks installer frustration...

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums, so um... there you go...!

I'm having a little problem, that is causing much frustration and annoyance...!

I recently purchased a new macbook pro (about 2 weeks ago), after years of bumbling along with my old g4 powerbook, on opening the box, my first thought was "ah, no install disks!!" so I went to the apps store a couple of days ago in an attempt to download the Mavericks installer which I had assumed would be there (and free) only to discover it's not...

This is particularly annoying as the company I work for has just spent several thousand pounds training my self and a few of my colleagues on Mavericks Support, add to that I've just forked out the thick end of £1000 at my own expense.

I contacted Apple support through the online thingy and was left pretty much flabbergasted by their genius's.... genii...?!!? whatever... they told me Mavericks had been removed since the official release of Yosemite and they more or less said "too bad...!" all they could do was point me to the the recovery assistant, which I had already done in order to create my own recovery usb stick, but it's the installer that I really want as this comes with all the assets for a clean install.

I got a copy from a friend via his previous purchases in the apps store, however I'm a little concerned about using this as I have a suspicion it's tied to his apple id and it might not work properly... although despite this, creating an install stick worked fine...

can anyone offer advice on what I can do in order to obtain an installer that I can tie to my apple id, I don't want to move to Yosemite as yet, simply because of the problems I'm hearing about...?

much thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The installer is not tied to an Apple ID. It will provide you with a clean install on a newly formatted drive (partition).

OP
V
Reaction score
really..? thank you ever so much, I was coming to the point where hurling something through a window seems like a good idea !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.