Master Star external drive not showing with OS Monterey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Also, you can follow these directions to reinstall the OS:

If there is no Recovery on the drive (and there probably is not), use the Internet Recovery process. That will put on the machine the version it came with originally. At least then it's bootable and from there you can upgrade to what you want. If you decide to go the Internet Recovery route, you don't need to format the drive in advance as you will have the opportunity to do so after the Recovery system is downloaded from Apple and run.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sounds like a plan to me. Just remember that what you are erasing (which is the same as formatting or initialising in this case) is the item at the top of the sidebar disk3s2 as pictured in the jpeg you posted. In that screen shot you have it selected already, just go to the Erase button above to begin the process described in Jake's post.

krs

Reaction score
Follow these Apple instructions instead.

The instructions say to boot from Recovery, but it's ok to boot from whatever you are booting from. The idea is to get to Disk Utility to partition and format the drive. I've forgotten which version of OS you want to install, but if it's High Sierra or newer, use APFS and GUID. Give it the name "Macintosh HD." If it's older than High Sierra, use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and GUID. Again, name it Macintosh HD. That will format and initialize the drive for you. Then you can see about installing the OS on it.
If you think about it, the options in Disk Utility can be very confusing for a new user.
To "to partition and format the drive" one clicks on the "Erase" button at the top, not the "Partition" button and a "Format" button doesn't exist.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Jake, Rod, Krs for all the help! As you can see from the screenshot, the erasure failed. I'll follow your suggestion to restore from the Internet Jake. Not sure if I can do it today as the occasion is a minor family reunion and I might not get the necessary window of time.
I find it strange that the hard disk is uninitialised after at least five years of use; also that the naming of the HD in Erase is so arbitrary, yet the name seems to matter.
I'll report back when I can try the recovery.

Attachments

• Erase failed.jpg
    Erase failed.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 6

krs

Reaction score
I don't understand why "Apple Disk Image" is selected in the left window of Disk Utility.
And the Crucial drive has disappeared in the left window completely.

Did you actually select the CT500in the left window, then select "Erase" and entered the info Jake posted?
If that did not format the drive,you can always try to selet the CT500 and run "Firts Aid"to see what comes up.

PS: When you get the message that to erase/formatting process failed,what does it show when you click on "Show Details"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sadly, I think that message is an indicator that the SSD is dead.

Not sure what you mean by this, though.
the naming of the HD in Erase is so arbitrary, yet the name seems to matter.
The name is whatever YOU want it to be. The default suggestion is "Macintosh HD," but you can change it to whatever you want. If you have NO name, it will then use the system designation as the name, which is how you got the disk3s2 name at one point.

krs

Reaction score
Sadly, I think that message is an indicator that the SSD is dead.
Based on the last image the OP posted, I would agree with you.

But earlier images in this thread show the SSD as a valid internal drive the Mac recognized.
So maybe the SSD died between then and now or it may be an intermittent internal SATA cable issue. that prevents the Mac from seeing the SSD now.
In either case I think a job for an on-site Mac-techie.

OP
S
Reaction score
The name is whatever YOU want it to be. The default suggestion is "Macintosh HD," but you can change it to whatever you want. If you have NO name, it will then use the system designation as the name, which is how you got the disk3s2 name at one point.
Ok. Anyhow, at the first opportunity I'm going to try to restore from the Internet
If that did not format the drive,you can always try to selet the CT500 and run "Firts Aid"to see what comes up.
I did try first aid on it, but that failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In either case I think a job for an on-site Mac-techie.

I would agree that your comment is a very valid and timely suggestion, especially considering the thread has hit its #68 posting.

Time for a good experienced Mac Pro I would also suggest, and hopefully they will have some success getting everything sorted out and working properly.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.