Mass Create/copy user accounts

Reaction score
Hi all...
I work in the music department of a school, and we've recently bought a pile of new MacBooks...we already have 7 iBook G4s, and just got these 7 MacBooks. I've been using macs for a few years, and am pretty good on most things to do with the hardware and OS X.

I need to set up separate user accounts for myself and all the classes, 18 accounts in all, on all of the laptops. The work that the students do doesn't need to be synchronised between the laptops as they'll use the same one each time they do work.
So the question is this...is there any way that I can set up the accounts on one computer and copy the details over to the others, without having to add the 18 accounts over and over again on each laptop, which will take quite a while!

Thanks in advance,
James

Reaction score
This is a tricky question and I'm not sure if you can escape the labour intensive aspect of your task. Unless someone here know of a way to do this you might have to just bite the bullet.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, James Boucher.

What it seems they do at school is install a fresh bootable copy of Mac OS X on an external FireWire hard drive along with Disk Utility and when the semester is done and need to start a new group, they wipe each Mac using the external and copy over the fresh install.

Edited to add:

Doh! Never mind I misread the question. Sorry. Need coffee NOW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.