mark as 'HIDDEN'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
How to I mark folders as 'HIDDEN', on PC u just right click, properties then BAM. Can't seem to figure out on here.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Rename the folder with a fullstop in front of the name

pictures to .pictures

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
is the fullstop the '.'? Also does this hide it so the folder is no longer visible or just hide from finder.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
i tried naming it ".test" and says only systems files can start with a "."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
is the fullstop the '.'? Also does this hide it so the folder is no longer visible or just hide from finder.

Yes that's the one. A period in US parlance I think. On the > key

Hot sure what you mean mean by hiding a folder vs just hidden in finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try it on a folder or a file?

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I want a whole folder to be hidden. right it's labeled 'vids' i tried .vids and it was a no go. I want it to be hidden, so when i open the user folder (Gary) it wont show up. My little sister uses this sometimes and there a things i don't want her to see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no reason why the . method shouldn't work. It's a Unix mainstay. I use it, as I'm pretty sure, do others. Not sure why it's not working for you.

However..... if the real issue is one of a little sister I'd strongly suggest using either the Guest account (if she doesn't need to keep anything) or create a new account for her. That way all your files will be hidden from her. This prevents unauthorised access and accidental data loss.

Much better than hiding selcted folders etc.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's no reason why the . method shouldn't work. It's a Unix mainstay. I use it, as I'm pretty sure, do others. Not sure why it's not working for you.
Works for me and always has. To the OP: can you give us the exact error message?

EDIT: This is an error on my part as I like to reside in the Terminal. You can not make a hidden directory with the dot from Finder - you'll need to use the Terminal. You can follow the instructions here to create a new hidden folder or if you give me the full path to the directory you want to hide, I can give you a command to hide that folder (without creating a new one and moving content over).

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I found this:

Creating Hidden Folders - Mac Guides

will it work even if the folder is on my Time Capsule?

Also, should i be able to just copy/paste my stuff from my WD ex HD to my new time capsule, i will be selling the WD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.