MapBoxGL

Reaction score
My iMAC runs on IOS 10.14.6 with Safari Version 14.1.2 (14611.3.10.1.7). I am having difficulty loading MapBoxGL. Some places say it will work, others say I need IOS 11.
Can anybody advise from experience, please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iMac runs macOS, not iOS. You are mixing and match names and versions and confusing yourself.

You need to provide a link to what application/tool you are referencing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you both for input. I think Razoredge has hit the nail right on the head pointing out my inexperience and confusion. I have checked the other areas, pm-r, but I am certainly not confident that I could understand and activate the necessary.
It looked simple at the outset (and probably is to someone who understands these things) but I have decided to abandon my exploration of Mapbox and shall stick to my paper maps.
Grateful thanks for the input anyway.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Stick to paper maps? I'm curious... what is it you are trying to accomplish?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looked simple at the outset (and probably is to someone who understands these things) but I have decided to abandon my exploration of Mapbox and shall stick to my paper maps.

Did you notice they have a set of tutorials you might want to have a look at:

Never hurts to try something new that you might want to do.

I got involved with creating custom street maps that was also open source oriented quite a few years ago, and I felt a bit lost until all of a sudden things started clicking into place. A great feeling of satisfaction and the localized Street maps became very useful.

But now, there is usually an already made application that becomes easier for some of us to use, if it will do what we want it to do which is not always the case.

Give theMapbox GL tutorials a try... You might like them and learn something new... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both for input. I think Razoredge has hit the nail right on the head pointing out my inexperience and confusion. I have checked the other areas, pm-r, but I am certainly not confident that I could understand and activate the necessary.
Grateful thanks for the input anyway.
Richard
If you aren't a developer, then this isn't what you are looking for. If you are looking for some sort of mapping application or something, you need to find a user application as opposed to a framework with a SDK.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you all for your concerns. I am not sure where you all are in the world, so for the benefit of Lifeisabeach here is my situation.....
I am in the UK where the statutory mapping outfit is Ordnance Survey. They provide excellent maps at varying scales. I live in the countryside where I am an 82 year old guy who walks his labrador dog extensively every day so am always looking to find additional public paths/bridleways. I have a paper map of my area 1:25,000 scale which I understand is downloadable but primarily for mobile phones and I was seeking to get it on my 27 inch iMAC for ease of viewing and maybe enlarging some areas for clarity because 1:25,000 is the largest scale provided for my area. To do that, Ordnance Survey give a download code when you purchase the paper map. I tried but the system said I needed MAPBOXGL, then another message told me that is not supported by my OS (10.14.6). OK, I might be strangling myself here by not upgrading to OS 11 and beyond where apparently MAPBOXGL is supported, but I also use a couple of photographic applications which will not run under the later OS since the OS bit structure was changed meaning I would need to re-purchase those upgraded applications at significant cost.

I'll certainly study those tutorials just in case, but I am not confident manipulating unfamiliar software - hence at present my view is to stick to the paper map until I can devise a "comfortable" outcome.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional context, it always helps to tell us the whole story to get the best possible help.

Ordnance Survey has mobile apps for download while on the move, but they also have a website where you can view the maps directly in your browser without needing to download anything. If you go down developer route that's where Mapbox comes into view.

So visit this page..

And click on the Open OS Maps button which will take you to their application. If you have a login with them, use that to get in and do what you want.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks again.
Just tried and logged in successfully only to be sent round in circles everytime I tried an option with

"Your browser does not support Mapbox GL,
which is required to display OS Maps."​

I thought I had won at one point only to be told that the Get Maps in question is available only through the mobile app.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm on macOS Monterrey and tried with both Chrome and Safari and was able to visit the website without issues. Can you please open a Private Window in Safari and try again?

OP
B
Reaction score
That is my problem...........I am still on Mojave OS 10.14.6 and the mapping app works only on Big Sur (11) upwards.
I am going off air until tomorrow but do not understand what "private window" means I really am extremely amateur!.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
but do not understand what "private window"

When you come back: Right Click on the Safari icon and, from the dropdown, choose "New Private Window".

Private in this case means that your activity on that Window is not shared with any other app nor are the sites visited stored in the Safari cache.

ie, it's private :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I went to the Mac App Store and entered Ordnance Survey and found one app, named "Outside Maps" but it also had other apps on the page toward the bottom. I don't know if they will run on Mojave or not, but you could check them out:

Brecon Beacons Maps offline
OpenMapTiles
DecMaps
Man Geo-Measure & Shape Tool

Good luck with it. I used to love Ordnance Survey Maps when I lived in UK. So much rich detail!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I had won at one point only to be told that the Get Maps in question is available only through the mobile app.

I recall reading something about using Google Earth or similar and various dog-walking trials Etc but couldn't remember the details, but a quick Google search shows a lot of hits to check out, and maybe modify the search accordingly to localized areas etc:

And then as my eldest son found out out when his lab type dog took off after a fox while walking in Whitehorse Yukon, end make sure you have an Apple AirTag attached to the dog's collar and everything functioning properly for if and when you need to track it. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That is my problem...........I am still on Mojave OS 10.14.6 and the mapping app works only on Big Sur (11) upwards.
I am going off air until tomorrow but do not understand what "private window" means I really am extremely amateur!.

You are stuck on an outdated version of Safari. The best thing to do is try Firefox or Chrome (I actually recommend Brave instead of Chrome if you are privacy-minded... it's based on Chrome and should work just as well).

Here's the link to the browser-based map on Ordnance's site:

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not quite. I would suggest that you grab a copy of Brave browser is Safari is the only browser installed on your machine and give it a shot again.

OP
B
Reaction score
You are all so very supportive and helpful. I think, yes, I am still on an old version of Safari (Version 14.1.2 (14611.3.10.1.7)) and when I right click on it there is no offer of Private - just a Privacy report. Can't find a way to update that version without updating the OS overall.
Several years ago before I converted to IMAC from PC my preferred browser was Firefox so I think I shall review that again. Meanwhile I go through everything which you are all suggesting, thank you so much, but this is not a make-or-break issue so if I can find a way all well and good otherwise no big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't find a way to update that version without updating the OS overall.
Several years ago before I converted to IMAC from PC my preferred browser was Firefox so I think I shall review that again.

Unfortunately, that is the only way for updating most of Apple's macOS applications, but by all give Firefox a try, and maybe set it as your default browser and save any extra clicking:

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
You have all been most patient with me, I am so grateful.
Firefox has suited me well for many years previously so I shall revist and assess potential against my changed needs versus Safari.
I SHALL CLOSE THIS THREAD NOW and move on.
Thank you all so much for ideas and encouragement.
Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.