Manually Migrate Data To New Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Currently I have an old and slow 27" iMac Late 2015 but have just ordered a new Mac Studio (Eek!!). When the new Mac arrives (not until some time in July apparently :( ) I don't want to use the migration assistant to move data and accounts across as I want to do a completely fresh install. My current iMac is somewhat bloated with stuff and having spent a medium size fortune, I want the new Mac to be as trim and efficient as possible.

All the apps I will install manually and for the most part I'm not too worried about preferences as I'll just set these up manually as well.

The majority of my data is in the cloud so that obviously doesn't need to be migrated but there are some documents and folders, some of which are quite large (several Gb in size). Rather than copy these onto an external drive and then restore them onto the new Mac, I'd like to be able to essentially network the two computers together and manually drag files/folders from the iMac to the Mac Studio.

Despite using Macs at home for several years, the only data transfer I've ever done between two Macs is using AirDrop.

I cannot connect either Mac directly to my router via a network cable and would prefer to not use Wi-Fi to transfer data between them. Would I need a crossover cable to connect the two Macs together or can I use a standard network cable and how do I go about networking them together? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Would I need a crossover cable to connect the two Macs together or can I use a standard network cable and how do I go about networking them together?
No, a crossover cable isn't necessary. The ethernet cable will suffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You could also use Carbon Copy Cloner via Ethernet which would allow you to pick and choose what you want to backup or just copy over.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I have done this even through Dropbox. Load the items into a free DB account, and then download to the new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.