Manual Backup from windows?

Reaction score
Hey everybody.

well, yesterday, i turned on my macbook to find that it shuts down in the middle of the gray spinny wheel thing. i booted into my windows partition and made sure that my osx was still ok. macdrive could read all the files. however, i went into my install CD and went to disk utility, to find that repair disk permissions and repair disk were both grayed out. I tried to verify the disk, but it gave me something about overlapping nodes and couldn't do anything.

so i'm wondering, is it possible to somehow create a bootable version of my entire partition from windows? i have an external hd with enough space.

im not so much worried about my documents as i am my apps. i don't want to go through installing all of them over again.

thanks for any help.

edit: oh, i tried archive and install, but the disk appears with a yellow exclamation mark and it says that i have to change my options to install. so i clicked options, and it said i MUST erase and install. after i did the disk utility, my drive dissapeared. but i can still access it from windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you have no other choice but to erase and re-install. However, if you do that, you'll wipe out your Windows partition along with everything on the drive. You might want to backup your Windows partition first using the free "WinClone" utility before proceeding.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25932/winclone

After re-installing OS X, you'll have to create a Boot Camp partition to restore Windows from WinClone.

You should also verify your hard disk first. Boot from your Leopard disk, use Disk Utility, first aid. Make sure the drive is OK before doing anything else.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.