Managing & Deleting 'Top Sites' in Yosemite

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to delete the current top sites in Yosemite and erase the cache for those sites? It used to be a case of hovering over the site preview pane and clicking the X in the corner, but with Yosemite that doesn't happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does anyone know how to delete the current top sites in Yosemite and erase the cache for those sites? It used to be a case of hovering over the site preview pane and clicking the X in the corner, but with Yosemite that doesn't happen.

Actually that does still happen. I just tried it and hovering for a moment gives me an "X" in the top left corner of the preview. Actually it says "Never include as top site", but I assume that's the same thing effectively and assume the cache gets deleted.

As for why YOU don't see the "X", I have no idea. Best suggestion is to download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. Perhaps you have a corrupt cache.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks....Ive just gone back to the Top Sites page. The X doesn't appear but when I hover over it I get a blue highlight around the screenshot. However, at the bottom of the page there is a link that invites me to 'disable this custom page'. I've clicked on it and it takes me to a clean looking page with snapshots where the X becomes available. Although it doesn't show all the previously shown snapshots, but the search engines I've used to get to some of those pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Wish I hadn't read this post:Grimmace:

Only been a Mac user for about a year and didn't realise I had Top Sites on my browser so I fiddled with them. Uh Oh! All my bookmarks disappeared:Angry:

Now I know how to restore bookmarks from Time Machine:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you go to the Safari Bookmarks menu and click there are the bookmarks still listed? If so they are still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks....Ive just gone back to the Top Sites page. The X doesn't appear but when I hover over it I get a blue highlight around the screenshot. However, at the bottom of the page there is a link that invites me to 'disable this custom page'. I've clicked on it and it takes me to a clean looking page with snapshots where the X becomes available. Although it doesn't show all the previously shown snapshots, but the search engines I've used to get to some of those pages.

I'm completely baffled as to how you got a "custom page". I just did some searching and the best that I can come up with is this has something to do with magnet links for torrents. Feel free to read over those search hits.
https://startpage.com/do/search?query=dsafari "disable this custom page" top sites&ext=safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
If you go to the Safari Bookmarks menu and click there are the bookmarks still listed? If so they are still there.

No the bookmark folder was empty. I then found the bookmarks.plist file in Finder and instead of it being about 30kb it was 0kb so I restored the same file from Time Machine an hour earlier and all was resolved.

I have no idea what caused me to lose the bookmarks in the first place but I have learnt two valuable lessons - don't fiddle & how to recover files from Time Machine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.