malware on Mac computer

Reaction score
I have popups that come up and freeze my computer and say security warning, it says to call a 1-800 number and they say they want to remotely access my computer. I said no and hung up. my computer is now interfaced with this popup and will not allow me to use it. every time I open a new window the pop up message comes up about secruity warning and call 1-800 and does not let me close it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have popups that come up and freeze my computer and say security warning, it says to call a 1-800 number and they say they want to remotely access my computer. I said no and hung up. my computer is now interfaced with this popup and will not allow me to use it. every time I open a new window the pop up message comes up about secruity warning and call 1-800 and does not let me close it out.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Before help can be offered, you really need to provide us w/ more information: 1) What Apple computer are you using (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; 3) Is this occurring in your browser(s) - if so, which one(s) - I'm assuming Safari; and 4) What have you done to try to correct the problem. We can be much more helpful once provided w/ answers to these inquiries - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes, what ^^^ Dave said. Do not panic it can be fixed.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
the computer is an iMAC 2008, operating system is OS X 10.9.5, the browsers are Safari and Google Chrome and it happens on both browsers. The messages always say security warning call 1-800... and speak to an agent. When I called they said they wanted to remotely connect to my computer. I said no and hung up. I often also get the MAC Clean message to down load MAC clean. The only way I can unfreeze the compuer is to select force quit to get rid of the messages and to shut down my computer. When I open it up again the messages immediately come back and I have to force quit again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am assuming that the pop up in question appears before you can got to any other sites. If that's the case skip to step 2.
1. If you can access other sites or have access to another computer download, install, and run Adware Medic. Try the browser now. You can probably avoid step 2.
2. Close any open web browsers then do the following:
a. Disconnect completely from the Internet (turn off wi-fi and unplug the ethernet cable that leads to the computer).
b.Launch the web browser. The window that's trying to hijack your computer will try to appear and can't. Close the window or tab that is causing the problem.
c. Go to Safari Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar: check that option then choose Empty Cache from the Develop menu.
d. Quit Safari, re-connect to wi-fi or ethernet, then re-launch Safari.

I don't think you will find it necessary to restart the Mac before relaunching Safari but it can't hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.