Maintenance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
Hello all. I am new so go easy on me. New here and a bit new to Macs.

I used Macs at college and I recently got my iMac on Black Friday. My question is, like with Windows every now and then you have to do a disk cleanup or defrag, is there anything like that that I need to do with my Mac to keep it working quickly?

Also is it a good idea to put it to sleep all the time or to shut down every few days? I was just putting it to sleep like the manual says but I find after a while it starts to get a bit slow and is much faster again after a restart.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Repair permissions every now & then (open Disk Utility).

As far as sleeping vs. shutdown. I usually like to restart the computer every couple weeks or so. Some folks go a couple months without trouble. Otherwise I just sleep the computer.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow what a fast reply, thank you. :*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Onyx is a great utility as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did repair disk permissions and got a warning.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Something I should be concerned about?

Shall go d/l Onyx, thank you Cuhnool

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all, this is a fantastic resource I shall go orf and read through a bunch of threads now. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My question is, like with Windows every now and then you have to do a disk cleanup or defrag, is there anything like that that I need to do with my Mac to keep it working quickly?

OSX does not require optimization, but there is software that will do it. I do it every once in awhile, using TechTool Pro. I don't think it hurts anything, but I'm not sure it helps much either. I use TTP for other things, so as long as I've got it, I use it to optimize as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I believe OS X defrags on the fly. As toMACsh said, there is third party software for those things, but are not absolutely necessary. I do have Onyx, but I hardly use it at all (once every couple months). Your iMac won't require much maintenance, so it's nothing to worry about.

And welcome to Mac-Forums btw!

Reaction score
As Mac OSX is based on Unix, the disk won't need de-fragging. I'm no expert on Macs (I've only had one for 2 weeks :D ) but I'd guess the filesystem is something like EXT3/4, HFS, XFS, etc.

Defragging is only really necessary (or possible) on systems like FAT and NTFS.

Must admit, I'm intrigued by the repairing of permissions though. I'll go Google that. :)

Reaction score
Power Mac G5 from 2004

Hey all,

I have a G5 from 2004 2005 I believe. I got it for free from work and am wondering if there is any way to delete the mac operating system and install a windows operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
The computer runs certain maintenance scripts every; day, week and month.
But Onyx is a great program to use; clears all types of Caches, rebuilds a bunch of stuff, etc.

Also, when deleting applications, use a program like AppCleaner or AppZapper. It searches the computer for associated files, so they can be removed as well.

C

chas_m

Hey all,

I have a G5 from 2004 2005 I believe. I got it for free from work and am wondering if there is any way to delete the mac operating system and install a windows operating system?

No. You could install Linux however, but as you're clearly insane (you want to delete the Mac OS in favour of Windows?? If that's not the definition of madness I don't know what is!!), I'm not sure if that's an option for you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hey all,

I'll pretend I didn't see something along the lines of "install Windows over OSX." :Angry:
Joking aside - you can't on the G5. G5 is a chip from IBM/Motorola and speaks a different language. It is called 'Power Architecture"
Power Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Intel chips speak a language called x86-64.
x86-64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows is compiled for x86-64 only. OSX up to Leopard (10.5.8) could run on PPC and Intel.
Mac OS X Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Snow Leopard has been the only MacOS that can run exclusively on Intel; which created a bit of a stink with some users.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, did I get all that right? Am I a mac-phile or what?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
_IGP6594-vi.jpg

Just showing off *lol*

My precioussssssssssssss!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just showing off *lol*

Is always good to have a precioussssssssssssss!!And if its a Mac all the better

Well done and it does look sweeeeeeeettttt lol

C

chas_m

I don't mean to pick nits, but you really should move that stuff under your iMac.

The computer draws cool air in from the bottom of the computer (because heat rises). You are (partially) suffocating your iMac and making it work harder to cool itself.

Not to mention muffling the speakers and (possibly) disabling the ambient light sensor, all of which is on the bottom of the machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I did repair disk permissions and got a warning.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Something I should be concerned about?

Shall go d/l Onyx, thank you Cuhnool
Take a look at this list for permission messages you can ignore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
- you can't on the G5. G5 is a chip from IBM/Motorola and speaks a different language.
Too bad malbright (how apropos!). I guess you'll just have to use the Mac OS on it. What version does it have? You can't go higher than 10.5.8 at the moment. (10.5.9 is looking more doubtful all the time now that 10.6 is established) You'll learn to love your Mac, like this member:
_IGP6594-vi.jpg

Just showing off *lol*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Too bad malbright (how apropos!). I guess you'll just have to use the Mac OS on it. What version does it have? You can't go higher than 10.5.8 at the moment. (10.5.9 is looking more doubtful all the time now that 10.6 is established) You'll learn to love your Mac, like this member:

Um, what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.