Main risks with boot camp

Reaction score
I'm sure there are many, but can someone please list or direct me to somewheres i can find the main risks of boot camp.

I want to install it but i don't want to mess up my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The main risk: Windows ;)

There's generally no problem with the install process itself. Just make sure you start clean. Restart your computer and make sure nothing is running in the background.

Once you install Windows, be sure you install security software like an anti-virus program and possibly a firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The main risk: Windows ;)
Exactly.
Windows will definitely mess up your Mac ;) :black:
What programs do you need to run Windows for?

Seriously, besides taking up space on your HD, it is fairly simple to install Windows via Boot Camp.
I am also serious about learning what apps you need to run.
Chances are that you won't even need to install Windows.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was thinking more on the games front, wanted to play the latest installment of half life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Exactly.
Windows will definitely mess up your Mac ;) :black:
Technically, it won't..if your Windows "install" in Parallels gets a virus or so overloaded with virus and malware, you just delete the virtual OS file! No harm to to the Mac :)
I did that once, just to see how long it would take; created a "honeypot" of sorts - No antivirus, no popup blocker, installed all sorts of crappy Windows software. When my Parallels' XP got so bad it was unusable, I just deleted the virtual machine and reinstalled :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Technically, it won't..if your Windows "install" in Parallels gets a virus or so overloaded with virus and malware, you just delete the virtual OS file! No harm to to the Mac :)
I am well aware of that, hence the smilies. :)
I have VPC installed on my G4 PowerBook. I use it about once every couple of months if I need to test a website I am making.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only thing I could see as a danger at all is after BootCamp makes the partition and you have the XP CD in the drive and reboot, be sure once in the XP Installer to choose the Partition that Bootcamp made and not the OSX one. The OSX Partition will show up as unknown so it will be obvious which to install to. Other than that, no danger at all. I have done it 10 times. Easy as can be. Just be sure to secure Windows like you would on any PC though.

There is no Mac version of Half Life for OSX so I guess you would need Windows for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I am well aware of that, hence the smilies. :)
I have VPC installed on my G4 PowerBook. I use it about once every couple of months if I need to test a website I am making.
Yanno, I saw those, but musta been a lack of coffee that caused me to miss the implied humor :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.