Mail setup problems

Reaction score
I have always used webmail to access my email account, but since I got my mac 2 weeks ago I now want to use the provided mail program to access my mail. I have followed the setup and everything looks right, but when I try to fetch my mail it does not work. I get this error message,

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "IMAP Account" or try again.

The server error encountered was: The connection to the server "mail.southofheaven.org" on port 25 timed out.

Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Do you have an IMAP account???

You may need to change the account "type" to POP.

Maybe check your Server addresses... Most (NOT all) servers are something like:

pop.southofheaven.org (for "incoming")

or

smtp.southofheaven.org (for "Outgoing")

****SOME... do use the MAIL.southofheaven.org though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. My incoming mail now works, I just had to put my entire email address as the user name. However, now my outgoing mail does not work still. Should I use the same port as the incoming mail uses or something different? Or is it an entirely different problem? This is the error message that I get.

This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

The server "mail.southofheaven.org:tygi009" cannot be contacted on port 144.

Any ideas on that please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MAC Mail & Gmail setup

I have a slightly different issue:

I setup my MAC mail with my Gmail account and it was working fine for a while, but then I could not send mail. Well, today I removed the account and re-add the Gmail account, but now all my old email were deleted.

Is there any way for me to retrieve the old email??

Reaction score
You can log in to your Gmail (www.gmail.com) and see if they are still archived on the Gmail website, but as far as retrieving from the Mail application--no. Because when you went to delete the Gmail account it provided you with a dialog box stating that emails and mailboxes would be removed upon deleting the account.

Also, try User > Library > Mail and see if any of the old messages may be in there. I seriously doubt they are, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck <><

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I do have my Gmail and Mac mail to leave messages on the server, so that's a good thing. I was just wondering if it's still lingering around the MacBook wasting space. BTW how do I get to the directory you pointed out? "User > Library > Mail"

I'm a Mac-noob. Although I do have to say I'm completely impressed with Mac's and I'm an IT guy that work with PC's.

I said to myself, i'd get a MAC before I ever Vista...and i'm glad i did! LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.