Mail OS X vers 10.9.5: only one window (message OR inbox) can be open at one time

Reaction score
I can have only one window (message or box) open at one time while in Mail. When I want to have a look at inbox or another message I will have to close the message that I am writing or reading. The problem has not always been there. It appeared around a year ago. But I do not remember what did change in the environment. I am not aware that I did change any setting. Please advise solution, many thanks in advance. Dirk

OS X/iOS version: 10.9.5
Software involved with the issue: Mail OS X
Version number of the software involved: N/A
Piece(s) of hardware involved: Mac Air
Error message(s): None

C

chas_m

Are you saying the open window blocks the other windows, or are you saying that all other windows hide when you open one?

OP
D
Reaction score
It is more like that the open window, of example the message that I am writing, will block me from opening the others. I have two options in order to go to another window: 1) is to save as draft and close the message; or 2) to reduce the main Mail window to a smaller than max size.

Thanks and cheers, Dirk

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm still a little confused after reading this. It sounds as if one window is simply hiding the other. This is how windows normally work unless you move them such that you can see both at the same time.

You can use Command+` (next to the 1 key on a North American English keyboard) to switch between open windows of the currently focused application if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.