Mail Mailbox off line

Reaction score
One of my mailboxes has gone off line and I cannot get it to react. I am on iMAC 10.14.6.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mailboxes (presuming you mean an Inbox) go offline for a few reasons: 1. The server is down, 2. Your network is not connected, 3. Your password is wrong, or changed, 4. Just a glitch in the connection. Typically #4 will fix itself, eventually. #1 you have to wait for the server to come back online. But 2 and 3 you can check for yourself. To check the network end to end, you can open Terminal and use "ping <<server name>>" where you change <<server name>> to your mail server to see if the route to the server is found. If it is, the network is working and you have connectivity. If it doesn't check that you haven't misspelled it and if you are confident, you can call the mail provider to ask what is going on. (Actually, you can do that anyway and they can eliminate #1, Check #3 and maybe help with #4. #2 is going to be tougher, but the fact you got here sort of implies that your system is connected to your LAN and that is then connected to the Internet, so that should be ok.

OP
B
Reaction score
Grateful thanks. I continued experimenting after posting my thread and eventually solved the issue which appeared to be the password. The whole account would not receive nor send anything. All is well now but I am a bit mystified why the password should suddenly fail because I never touch the account settings.
Just a glitch which happens!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.