Mail "Delete" button not working

Reaction score
Hi. In an individual email, the "delete" button on the toolbar won't delete the email, just closes it. Once back in the Inbox, the delete button works fine.
This been happening for years, but when I installed Yosemite I thought it might fix it - Still the same. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In Mail, depending on how you display and use your emails, in the view where the Delete (I'm assuming you mean the Delete icon), select the View(menu) -> Customize Toolbar… and drag the default display to the top.

Quit and restart Mail, and try the Delete, and then add anything else you want from the Customize view options.

Maybe… ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks pm-r, have done that but I tried your suggestion again - still the same. And yes, I did mean "icon".
Thanks for response anyway....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK, and I guess you also tried using the View->Customize ToolBar to remove just the "Delete/Junk" icon?

Maybe try again, quit/restart Mail, and then drag the "Delete/Junk" icon back up where you want it.

Yeah, I'm stubborn when things don't work properly. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Just tried that sequence - still the same. Icon works fine in Inbox, just not in individual email. Weird. Can't find any reference to this problem anywhere, either. Hope persistence pays off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.