magsafe 85w power cord

Reaction score
I have to jiggle the "l" connector end to get it to work when I plug it into computer. Sometimes takes a second, sometimes takes a minute. Can I do anything to fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I do anything to fix it?

Unfortunately..buy a new one. And treat it like it was a million dollar raw egg!;). They're really not repairable.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I was afraid you would say that. But on the Apple store site it gives them a 1 1/2 star rating.
Doesn't sound like a quality item they are selling for $79.00.
I was hoping there was some way to tape it up.....the problem is obviously right where the cord goes into the rubber 'neck guard'.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was afraid you would say that. But on the Apple store site it gives them a 1 1/2 star rating.
Doesn't sound like a quality item they are selling for $79.00.
I was hoping there was some way to tape it up.....the problem is obviously right where the cord goes into the rubber 'neck guard'.

I do not disagree that the Apple Magsafe power adapters are not very durable. But even if they do have a 1.5 star rating and cost $79...what is your alternative??;)

You could try purchasing a genuine used one via eBay (this is what I would do). It would probably be better than what you have.:) Or you could go with a non-Apple "knock-off"...and see how it works out (sometimes they are cheaply made).

You of course could try some sort of DIY repair. But you can imagine that any DIY repair probaby wouldn't last very long. Given what these things go thru on a daily basis.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
you could go with a non-Apple "knock-off"...and see how it works out (sometimes they are cheaply made).
And how is that different from the Apple one?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And how is that different from the Apple one?

Did you "carefully" read the quote you quoted??;) It would be even less durable than the Apple one! We're talking the "guts" of the thing as well.

Things can always be made cheaper, less durable, and less reliable.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry. I was just so disappointed to see the Apple rating of their own product.
But as you said, what choice do I have?
Thanks for your input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But as you said, what choice do I have?

Exactly. These have basically been around since 2006. It is sort of surprising that Apple hasn't done a complete redesign of them to make them physically more durable.

But do remember...one MAJOR improvement Apple made was the first company to come out with the magnetic connector!:)

Prior to this...how many folks do you think tripped over the power cord...completely ripping or damaging the cord at the power adapter end (the brick)...or how many "power ports" on the computer were broken/ripped off the logic board.

If this happened...how would you like to need a $500+ replacement logic board instead of a $79 replacement magsafe adapter??;)

How many Windows laptops are still being sold with the old style non-magnetic connector (which someone could trip over causing the damage I described above)?

The Apple Magsafe adapters could be better. But things could be worse too.;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there was some way I could stabilize it when it is in the position it 'likes'.......maybe put a piece of popsicle stick or some such under it and then pour epoxy quick setting glue on it????

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if there was some way I could stabilize it when it is in the position it 'likes'.......maybe put a piece of popsicle stick or some such under it and then pour epoxy quick setting glue on it????

Hey…give it shot…who knows…be creative.:) Worst case scenario is you have to get another one.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

The problem is that people pull on the cord instead of the connector to disconnect. That causes the fraying and separation. When you get the replacement, be careful to pull on the plug and it should last a long time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do remember that 1.5 stars is NOT Apples rating but users rating. In other words people who purchased them gave the 1.5 stars, not Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The problem is that people pull on the cord instead of the connector to disconnect. That causes the fraying and separation. When you get the replacement, be careful to pull on the plug and it should last a long time.

Yea, but Apple could easily improve the lousy strain-relief. It's not as bad as it is on the lightning cable connectors but.. it'd be easily improvable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yea, but Apple could easily improve the lousy strain-relief. It's not as bad as it is on the lightning cable connectors but.. it'd be easily improvable.

I agree, the cables and connectors should be designed to not only last but to handle potential abuse (e.g. bending, acute angulation, etc.) - Apple has not been responsible in this goal.

Now, I've been VERY careful w/ the charging cable on my MBPro which is nearly 2 years old and still looking good, so my first suggestion is that one really be careful about preventing any bending of the cable and remove/attach by the actual connector and not the cable (as Jake has already suggested).

Concerning the lightning adapter on the newer iPads/iPhones, the same suggestion applies even more - I have a new iPad Air 2 (replaced an old iPad 2) - this adapter is small and fits tightly into the docking slot - DO NOT use the cord to pull out this attachment - gently grasp the actual connector and firmly remove the adapter - I wish all of these would be improved but w/ a little thought and care, they will last a while. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
I feel your pain!
my air book power cord is being held by a rubber band and expoxy glue, but works!
I will purchase another from from OWC (60$) when the weather gets better (april) then use the air book outdoors more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
just ran out of apple care and my 60w apple charger died after 3 months getting a replacement, what apple used to say 'it just works' is not good anymore.

OP
W
Reaction score
Well, my current cord is the original ....five years old. So I guess we were very lucky....or Apple made them better back then.
Am still going to try a DIY fixit. Nothing is frayed on the outside, so if I can stabilize it somehow.............we shall see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, my current cord is the original ....five years old. So I guess we were very lucky....or Apple made them better back then.
Am still going to try a DIY fixit. Nothing is frayed on the outside, so if I can stabilize it somehow.............we shall see.

Good luck - not sure that 'stabilizing' from the outside will work but who knows. If not already done, you might want to take a look at these iFixit Guides; not sure if any apply in your case but many give you some ideas. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.