Magic Mouse

Reaction score
Hi guys - I am a recent convert to the world of Mac and have been really pleased with my 2008 iMac. Sorry to drag up an old subject... but here's my problem..

I changed my batteries in my Magic Mouse ( didn't think to power off the iMac - just assumed that the change of batteries would just mean that the mouse would reconnect with the click of a button).

Since then I have tried :- rebooting iMac, putting countless new batteries in the mouse, switching the mouse on and off, tried to get into preferences without a mouse through various combinations of ctrl and fn and F2, F7, F8 etc etc.

In the end, I had to go out and buy a Microsoft USB mouse so that I could continue to work (and make a living). Since then I have switched Bluetooth on and off, deleted paired items and re-paired them, deleted the old inactive pairing for said Magic Mouse. All that I have done has been suggested on various forums and Apple Support pages.

The iMac cannot find the Magic Mouse.

New batteries in, green indicator on, tried clicking left, right, simultaneous. Nothing.

It has been suggested that the mouse is faulty but what a remarkable co-incidence - it was perfect until I changed the batteries.

Can anyone suggest anything that I haven't tried? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is very strange. I have two Magic Mice. I have had issues with paring in the past but always was able to get it working. Will see what I can find searching and get back to you.

Does it show when you try to pair in the BT menu?

OP
H
Reaction score
That is very strange. I have two Magic Mice. I have had issues with paring in the past but always was able to get it working. Will see what I can find searching and get back to you.

Does it show when you try to pair in the BT menu?

Hi there - no it doesn't...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
After a change of batteries in my Magic Mouse I have found the only thing necessary to re-connect is to tap the top of the mouse once. After a couple of seconds a message box shows and says "Connected".

OP
H
Reaction score
After a change of batteries in my Magic Mouse I have found the only thing necessary to re-connect is to tap the top of the mouse once. After a couple of seconds a message box shows and says "Connected".

I wish... :\

I have tried turning off the BT - then back on. It finds and connects to the wireless keyboard within seconds....

It's a pity that there is no lights on the mouse anywhere to give you an inkling that it SHOULD work...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
there is a green light on the bottom of the MM. Does it blink when it's in Discovery mode?

OP
H
Reaction score
there is a green light on the bottom of the MM. Does it blink when it's in Discovery mode?

Visible on the underside, Dennis?

Nope...

There is a green indicator on the switch to show switched on but no light.

OP
H
Reaction score
Visible on the underside, Dennis?

Nope...

There is a green indicator on the switch to show switched on but no light.

I am guessing, therefore, that the mouse has died. Just looking through the setup guides again and I see the part that says that there should be a light underneath. I have tried many different AA batteries but can't get any light to show. Guess it's new mouse time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am guessing, therefore, that the mouse has died. Just looking through the setup guides again and I see the part that says that there should be a light underneath. I have tried many different AA batteries but can't get any light to show. Guess it's new mouse time...

Yep, looks like a dead rodent on you hands - sorry! :(

My Magic Mouse shows the small green light (arrow in the attachment) when activated - Dave :)

apple-magicmouse-3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like their rodent namesakes, mice do die alas. All electronic devices do, some sooner rather than later. How old is the mouse, did you buy it new?

M

MacInWin

Silly me, are the batteries in upside down? Just asking because I have done that myself, so I have full authority to ask...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was Just going to ask the same thing. If they are it will not work. The TIP has to go forward and seat in that hole. I have put new ones in a couple of times and they were not contacting in the front where that Tip goes into the hole.

OP
H
Reaction score
Was Just going to ask the same thing. If they are it will not work. The TIP has to go forward and seat in that hole. I have put new ones in a couple of times and they were not contacting in the front where that Tip goes into the hole.

Thanks guys - I will double if not triple check. The mouse is about two years old.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the old batteries leak and corrode the terminals in the mouse?

OP
H
Reaction score
Did the old batteries leak and corrode the terminals in the mouse?

No the mouse is mint inside and out - the old batteries were at 10% so I decided to change them...

M

MacInWin

Hey, we had to ask...

In my mouse there is a depiction of the battery in the battery pocket that shows which way it goes. I check every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No the mouse is mint inside and out - the old batteries were at 10% so I decided to change them...

Well, a 'dead rodent' - if your batteries are placed in right and that little green light is not showing, then you have a dud - only option is to check it on another Mac or take it to an Apple store for a check. Not sure how much more we can help? Dave :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Well a weird and wonderful solution was provided by an IT guy at the place where I bought the iMac...

He told me to remove the batteries completely from the mouse overnight - then put the mouse in a freezer for 1 hour.

Then put in completely new fresh batteries - making sure they contact well; spin them once in.

Immediately the green light came on and the iMac told me that a mouse was trying to pair...

Four hours later and all is functioning well...

No idea why it worked but it did :) :)

Thanks for all your help guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey cool trick. Did you ever try spinning them before? I should have suggested that.

Glad it's working!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well a weird and wonderful solution was provided by an IT guy at the place where I bought the iMac...

He told me to remove the batteries completely from the mouse overnight - then put the mouse in a freezer for 1 hour..............

Well, congratulations! :) I have no idea 'why' this trick should work except making the battery compartment imperceptibly smaller for better battery contact, but make sure you keep that other mouse around? Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.