• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macworld Magazine Discontinued

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
They better not. I just payed them for another year subscription..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sad news.
Been a subscriber for several years now . . . unfortunately just a sign of the times. Print media of all kinds probably has numbered days.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many of my magazines that I've subscribed to over the years have either gone digital or out of print. My current subscription to Macworld is good (or was good) until June 2016. Let's hope they offer a refund. Maybe they can send me one of those iPhone 6s they tested as payment. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
A few years ago I decided to only keep MacFormat subscription going out of the two, and didn't renew Macworld one ... feeling a tad guilty now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't David. It is today's world and ever changing technology.

C

chas_m

The word is that the website and iPad app will continue, but yeah for magazines in particular print is basically dead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've gotten to the point where I would rather read my magazines and books on my iMac screen. Just about every book I've purchased in the last 3 years has been from Amazon for my Kindle reader. Now if I had to read them on my iPad or iPhone, I would probably feel differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've gotten to the point where I would rather read my magazines and books on my iMac screen. Just about every book I've purchased in the last 3 years has been from Amazon for my Kindle reader. Now if I had to read them on my iPad or iPhone, I would probably feel differently.

Same here - I get 3 Apple mags, including MacWorld + PC Mag on my iPad in the Zino app - I'm assuming that MacWorld will continue in that format? And as to books, I've not bought a paper copy in several years - purchased book via Amazon or iTunes and DL them to my iPad in iBooks or in the Kindle app - I enjoy reading them on the iPad 2 - believe that I have only several paper mags still coming to the house. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the digital copy of Macworld will likewise be discontinued. There is no longer a staff of writers as they've all been let go except the senior editor. Hopefully, IDG will offer a refund or another magazine subscription instead. I wouldn't mind receiving PCWorld to fulfill the remainder of my subscription.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the digital copy of Macworld will likewise be discontinued. There is no longer a staff of writers as they've all been let go except the senior editor. Hopefully, IDG will offer a refund or another magazine subscription instead. I wouldn't mind receiving PCWorld to fulfill the remainder of my subscription.

Yep - I just read the links in the OP - too bad, I've enjoyed that mag on my iPad - Dave :)

Reaction score
That sucks. My subscription is good until May of 2016. I guess there isn't any print magazine for mac's anymore. I hope they give money refund. I already have some Zinio subs to computer mags but still
like print mags sometimes. Times are a changing!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are still print mags for Mac. Just not from IDG anymore.

Not many. MacLife is the only other one that I can think of for right now that's published here in the US. And that magazine is the pits. I subscribed for around a year or so and then never renewed. I know there are other Mac magazines which are published in the UK and Australia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
i stopped my 5 year subscription in 2003 when our building gave DSL to everyone, Honestly I'm surprised they still print. Good luck on getting refunds, they should repay everyone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update to this thread regarding Macworld Mag:

Received a notice today from Macworld that starting with next month's issue (December 2014) my subscription will be digital only. The November 2014 issue is the last print issue.

The only downside is that I have to use Zinio in order to read my issues - which means downloading and installing the Zinio app and the Adobe Air installer (in order to install Zinio) and then registering with Zinio. I was hoping the issues would be in the PDF format but that's not the case.

Anyway, using the Zinio app allows you to archive the issues in its library which can come in handy later when searching for a particular article.

Any other Macworld subscribers on here get the same notice with their November issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update to this thread regarding Macworld Mag:

Received a notice today from Macworld that starting with next month's issue (December 2014) my subscription will be digital only. The November 2014 issue is the last print issue.
Any other Macworld subscribers on here get the same notice with their November issue?

Hi Chscag - I'm a MacWorld subscriber and have the Oct issue on my iPad 2 in Zinio - at the moment, I've not received any notification, BUT expect to from your comments - Dave :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I converted my paper subscription to digital (using Zinio) 3 years ago. But, unless they have changed, I think you can use Newstand if you wish. I use Zinio.

EDIT: just checked and the Aug 2013 issue of MacWorld is still in Newstand on my iPad, plus all the issues from current back to May 2012 are available to download.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I converted my paper subscription to digital (using Zinio) 3 years ago. But, unless they have changed, I think you can use Newstand if you wish. I use Zinio.

No choice in the notice Mike. It was Zinio or nothing. :[ I would prefer to use Newstand as that is much easier than having to mess with Zinio which in my opinion is not very user friendly. However, I suppose that's better than giving up or losing my subscription which is good until June 2016.

On another note... I was using Newstand to download the digital copy on my iPad. (my subscription entitled me to one year of digital in addition to the print copy)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.