• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacWorld mag Online only in Nov.

R

RonH

JUST became aware from a phone conversation with a magazine rep that MacWorld magazine subscribers will ONLY be able to get this magazine as a ONLINE version beginning in Nov. with their last paper issue. Not happy about this, but this is the way paper mags are going. Had this happen with a major travel magazine in recent months. It is expected (by me and I hope by other subscribers)) that the online subscription price will be lower than the paper price since the paper-related expenses will disappear from their cost sheet. Hope this helps. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
In the spring of 2013, I switched from PCs to Macs - at that time I had been receiving the paper edition of PC World and the digital edition of PC Magazine, which has not offered a paper version for a number of years - I cancelled my PC World subscription and received a refund - still getting the other in the Zino app on my iPad.

In addition, I added 3 Apple related digital mags to my Zino account, Macworld, MackILife, & iPhone - we've already had a discussion about Macworld HERE w/ some questioning whether the digital edition will even last?

But you're right, printing and shipping paper editions of magazines is (and will continue) to decline, which is fine w/ me (less to recycle!) - I also put nearly all of my book purchases on the iPad (use iBooks & the Kindle app) - convenient & easy to read although I do miss the smell of a new book - maybe a 'Smell a Book' app will come out? ;) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
JUST became aware from a phone conversation with a magazine rep that MacWorld magazine subscribers will ONLY be able to get this magazine as a ONLINE version beginning in Nov. with their last paper issue. Not happy about this, but this is the way paper mags are going. Had this happen with a major travel magazine in recent months. It is expected (by me and I hope by other subscribers)) that the online subscription price will be lower than the paper price since the paper-related expenses will disappear from their cost sheet. Hope this helps. Thoughts?

Considering that IDG let go all the Macworld staff except one, I doubt we will receive a digital copy after the October (last) print issue. I imagine IDG will either offer a refund for subscribers or another IDG magazine in lieu of Macworld. If no staff remains, who is going to put together a digital copy?

I suspect your magazine rep may have not known the full impact of the demise of Macworld magazine.

OP
R

RonH

Thanks to all who replied. I'm apparently the last to know this info. I am open to recommendations for a print mag to replace MacWorld. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks to all who replied. I'm apparently the last to know this info. I am open to recommendations for a print mag to replace MacWorld. Thanks again!

Hi Ron - as mentioned in my previous post, all of my computer mags are coming to me on the iPad using the Zinio app - one is MacILife which still offers a 'print' edition - but how long that will last is likely a guess?

In checking into my Zino app, there are plenty of digital mags available but not sure which ones are good or bad? Hopefully, other members will 'chime in' to make some recommendations for both digital and/or print Apple magazines. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

As Dave pointed out there is still Mac|Life, however, after subscribing to it for two years I simply did not renew. Very poor content in my opinion and I suspect they will not be around for long either.

If given the choice by IDG, I probably will opt for PC World which I understand will be picking up the slack in Mac reporting. Anyway, we don't know what IDG intends to do to satisfy subscribers who have been left out in the cold.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I got a renewal notice from MacWorld recently. Hadn't gotten around to renewing yet. I haven't read the paper edition in a few years. I have several digital issues in Zinio I haven't read yet.

I used to be an avid reader of MacAddict back in the day when the print edition was all there was available for any mag). Didn't MacAddict become MacLife? Took a step-down IMHO.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
All of the computer magazines have taken a step down, IMO...

I used to subscribe to PC Mag, PC World, Maximum PC, MacWorld and Mac|Life. Back in the day, the reviews were detailed, unbiased and thorough. There were tons of "how-tos" and tutorials for popular software.

Now, aside from most of that content being available online, I have found that their reviews aren't nearly as thorough or unbiased as they were before. Advertisers tend to get more positive reviews. Additionally, tutorials and how-to content are almost non-existant. I simply find nothing of value in any of these magazines. Heck, 75% of MacWorld has been iDevice coverage since they first came out. There's very little "Mac" left in it.

No surprise that they are giving it up. They have forgotten what made computer magazines successful in the first place. I have now canceled every single last computer mag subscription that I once had. The last to go was MaximumPC and that was mostly because I got tired of their editor-in-chief's constant litany of Apple-bashing. At one time, they were fairly OS-agnostic, but since Gordon Mah Ung took over, it's not even worth reading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.