Macs Fan Control App

Reaction score
Recently, my 2018 MacBook air’s fan has become very loud even though all it is running is safari with only a few tabs. This was usually not the case beforehand and the fans would only get loud when I was playing video games. I thought maybe the cause of the fans being so loud was that there was a blockage of dust in the fans, so I open it up and low and behold, there wasn’t much dust in the first place. Nevertheless I cleaned it and hoped that it would be enough to fix the issue. But it still didn’t work. Now I’ve installed the Macs fan control app because of a forum that I’ve seen on here. My question is, what settings should I put for the temp sensors so that I don’t hurt the hardware?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My recommendation is to NOT use an app to control the fan since you're just going to make this situation worse and will have fan failure and then heat within the system that isn't escaping and cascading damage.

Your machine is under AppleCare assuming you extended it to 3 years and you should have Apple or a certified technician look at this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is on the tabs you have open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 to not do anything. Let the system set the fans. If the system sets the fans high, it's because the Mac is hot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You may have something running in the background causing the fans to increase in RPM. Just running Safari with only a few tabs open should not place a load on your MacBook Pro.

When the fans begin to rev up, open your Activity Monitor to see what may be using the CPU and causing the fans to speed up.

Also, as already mentioned by Ashwin, if your MacBook Pro is still covered by Apple Care, it might be a good idea to have Apple check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.