MacOS Sierra installation error

okwhatyes

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Macbook Pro (not sure of what model) and I decided I wanted to reset it as it was a business laptop in the past and had remote management and wanted to erase the data with no password. I did that erased the disks and reinstalled MacOS Big Sur, but the remote management was still on it. I then tried doing another reset but during the erasing disks I believe I somehow deleted one and messed all the disks and volumes up. Now instead of being a reinstall MacOS Big Sur it changed to MacOS Sierra, i believe because of the changed formatting of the disks after I messed up erasing them. Now when I try to reinstall MacOS sierra from recovery mode it shows the error an error occured while preparing the installion. Try running this application again. But this error shows up after the blue bar has progressed all the way. Now what happens when i try to startup is a folder with a question mark, and when trying to enter recovery mode it takes me to internet recovery mode instead and it goes through that and then puts me in recovery mode to still reinstall MacOS Sierra. I have no idea what to do as i have tried to reinstall Sierra and it has not worked with the same error each time. What do I do? any help is appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That isn't how you go about dealing with a managed system. If it's managed by your work, and properly done so, the lock is well early in the firmware as opposed to just whats residing on the hard drive. If it were this simple, all of us with work laptops would simply re-install the OS and do with it as we please.

Did you purchase the laptop from the business and if so, you should first have them relinquish control.

You'll need to figure out what MBP this is to determine what the best version of macOS is. Once you figure that out, you'll want to use another MBP to create a bootable USB with the installer for the appropriate version of macOS and do the install from there as opposed to trying to use the system in its current state.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Did you purchase the laptop from the business and if so, you should first have them relinquish control.

+1 with what Ashwin suggests.

And remote/tracking software won't normally be completely removed with any normal hard drive erasing software.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.