MacOS Remote Desktop

Reaction score
Long story and I will try keep it short.

Currently I work from home working from my personal PC/Mac via RDP to my work Windows 10 Laptop that is docked under my desk but headless (no K+M or monitor). This works flawlessly and with Windows RDP on the LAN I can't tell I'm not using the Work Laptop on the console/locally. The RDP session is not mirroring the console output and I can have my native personal PC/Mac screen resolution (3440x1440) in fullscreen.

I am thinking of moving to MacBook for work however it seems I can't work on Mac remotely like the above. MacOS uses the frankly terrible VNC protocol for Remote Desktop. It mirrors the console and I can only use resolutions the local screen/console is capable of.

Does anyone know of software or setup for using RDP/Remote Desktop/VNC of MacOS remotely in this manner?

I thought Nuords (NuoRDS | Remote Desktop Services for Mac computers) would work but although it uses RDP protocol it can still only supports local resolutions and it mirrors the console (performance also poor like VNC/screen-scraping).

Am I stuck with Windows for work laptop?

(Yes I could use work laptop on console with K+M + Monitor but I have small desk and already have personal gaming PC and Mac mini setup with USB switch and I want to minimise the amount of cables on my desk - I don't want multiple keyboards and mice either. I do not want to introduce Mickey Mouse KVMs to my screen either as they're unlikely to work with 3440x1440 180Hz cable screen)

Any ideas? I have personal MacMini and MacBook Pro to test and emulate with before ordering Work MacBook but nothing I've tried works so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
There's an app on the Apple Store called Display Menu. It lets you set a ton of different resolutions when you're screen mirroring. I use it on my headless Mac Mini and it rivals RDP when using it on my local network.

OP
Z
Reaction score
There's an app on the Apple Store called Display Menu. It lets you set a ton of different resolutions when you're screen mirroring. I use it on my headless Mac Mini and it rivals RDP when using it on my local network.

Thanks for this, but I think this only works if you're using Mac Mini that's headless (without built-in display).
When connecting to Macbook with a display, even display menu only allows what the local screen can support. Or at least I'm unable to set custom resolutions even after purchasing the pro version.

This is confirmed from the FAQ - Display Menu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.