macOS Big Sur is Version 11.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It'd have made more sense to switch to a different theme for the names to go along with taking it to 11.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like quite a few folks have already downloaded and installed Beta 1 of Big Sur and guess what....?

It appears that the Beta of Big Sur is bricking some machines, mostly those with that nasty T2 chip. By the way folks, the T2 chip is ARM. :smile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
At least it's not like Ubuntu, where you have to deal with names like "Moronic Mollusk", or "Rabid Raccoon" ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't don't like it as a name for an OS, but knowing that it's named after the Big Sur coast region in California make me like it. That area is BEAUTIFUL!

+1! When I was in academic radiology, I use to find a medical meeting in California every 2-3 years and preferred the San Fran area (wine country just north!) - but stayed in Monterey several times (Carmel, Pebble Beach, etc.) - made several drives along the Big Sur on HW 1 to visit San Simeon and the Hearst Castle - the drive is spectacular (and scary at times!) - several pics below from the web to show its beauty - the Monterey Peninsula and environs is gorgeous. Dave
BigSur1.jpg
BigSur2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I'm sorry, but the names just aren't definitive enough when attempting to assist users that come here to ask for help. Apple should do away with them completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I thought Sur might be missing an "L":) No offence, guys.

Ian

My apologies for missing that one Ian, I think it went right over my head.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the names just aren't definitive enough when attempting to assist users that come here to ask for help. Apple should do away with them completely.

Not sure what you mean. We could just call Big Sur "11.0" but that would be boring, and the version number is easy enough to find out in about 5 seconds on Google (or About This Mac) if one doesn't remember.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2017
Is it only me, or are macOS Big Sur dock icons really ugly? I always loved the design language of Apple. But those icons are literally a joke, they look like iOS icons but have SUPER weird shadows that make them just ugly and non-flat.

Reaction score
Is it only me, or are macOS Big Sur dock icons really ugly? I always loved the design language of Apple. But those icons are literally a joke, they look like iOS icons but have SUPER weird shadows that make them just ugly and non-flat.

Well I wouldn't say they're "ugly" and a "joke" by any means, but the drop-shadows on the Mail, Messages, Facetime, etc. icons make them look like two separate pieces instead of one uniform icon, which I don't like the look of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it only me, or are macOS Big Sur dock icons really ugly?

I wonder if users will still be able to modify and change the icons for applications etc.???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I wonder if users will still be able to modify and change the icons for applications etc.???

- Patrick
======

Huh...didn't even know you could do that (but just Googled and found out how), but then again I never had the desire to. Guess that would be an easy solution for those that dislike the new icons, if it's still allowed in 11. Actually sort of surprised Apple lets you do this with their apps at all in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh...didn't even know you could do that (but just Googled and found out how), but then again I never had the desire to. Guess that would be an easy solution for those that dislike the new icons,...

It used to be THE thing to do when users liked to customize their Macs.

Here's a sample of my Apple Mail.app icon as an example:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 7.27.59 PM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
It used to be THE thing to do when users liked to customize their Macs.

Interesting. Just never thought about it before or recall anyone talking about it (nor remember seeing anyone's dock with customized icons...yours looks very nice, btw). But then again, I'm the kind of guy who always keeps the standard background image and theme (with the exception that I do prefer dark theme once that came out). The only things I tend to change are things like toolbar layouts and such vs. images and colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. Just never thought about it before or recall anyone talking about it (nor remember seeing anyone's dock with customized icons...

I cannot believe that many Mac users do not even use custom icons or even plain color icons on some of their folders, especially since Apple messed up the file/folder color labels years ago.

Like yourself, many it seems didn't even know that it is even possible, But it can sure help with organization etc.

- Patrick
======

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Over the years there have been apps that allowed the dock to be customized, dock icons changed, and folder icons to be altered. Apple has now locked down all of those to where it's Apple or the highway. I have my hopes up with the implementation of macOS 11, that Apple will become a bit more generous.

But with Apple tightening up security of the operating system and anything associated with it, I doubt we will ever see them allowing customization again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Over the years there have been apps that allowed the dock to be customized, dock icons changed, and folder icons to be altered. Apple has now locked down all of those to where it's Apple or the highway.

I am afraid that you are correct Charlie, but I am still enjoying a bit of freedom using my version of Mavericks 10.9.5.

I can easily remember the days when a Mac user was proud of their Mac customizing and often with very practical and useful mods.

And I think there are quite a few members here who remember Apple and the “Here’s to the crazy ones… the ones who see things differently” and “Think Different”.
Think Different - AD DISCOVERY AND CREATIVITY LAB - Medium

Yeah...the good old Mac Fun Days.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have an iMac 2017 with OS 10.15. As I read your list, it is not compatible with Big Sur. (Speaking of which, yea, "BS". Who came up with a title with those initials? What was he/she thinking?)
At apple.com, an iMac Pro 2017 costs thousands more than my iMac 2017, so replacing what I have is an unwelcome option.
What, if anything, does BS portend regarding continuing security updates for Catalina?
Or have I completely misunderstood the meaning of this event?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have an iMac 2017 with OS 10.15. As I read your list, it is not compatible with Big Sur. (Speaking of which, yea, "BS". Who came up with a title with those initials? What was he/she thinking? It's a little reminiscent of Ford's experience with the Edsel.)
At apple.com, an iMac Pro 2017 costs thousands more than my iMac 2017, so replacing what I have is an unwelcome option.
All that's fine, but what, if anything, does it portend regarding continuing security updates for Catalina? How long before iMac 2017 owners (and others) are told to come up with $5K ... or take a walk.
Some misunderstandings there.

First, your iMac will run Big Sur. What was said what that it required
iMac 2014 and later
Your 2017 is later, so it will run it.

Second, an iMac Pro is an iMac equivalent of the Mac Pro, a really heavy duty machine that is far beyond your iMac (not pro) from 2017. The better comparison should be to the current iMac, which starts at $1099 for the low end 21.5 and about $1800 for the low end 27" model. Not $5k.

Apple has, for years, used California geography for names, Big Sur is one of those. As for the initials, I'm sure someone mentioned it and Apple decided it could stand the abuse.

Does that help?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or have I completely misunderstood the meaning of this event?

Yep. Jake said it all, so I won't repeat it. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Silly name. My preference would have been for a single word, just seems a bit easier on the tongue but then there was Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion and High Sierra so obviously Apple aren't worried about double barrel names but the focus on geological features of California seems a bit too narrow. Someone mentioned Andromeda, a much more encompassing name with bonus grandeur, any constellation for that matter would have had weight. There's Apus and Canus and Torus or Ursa Major if it needs to be two words, all in all 88 choices. Ah well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.