macOS 10.12: Finder windows sometimes close after startup

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 - 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD - macOS 10.12
Not a big scripted but I think we would need to know what specific commands were included in the script before we could figure that out.
Fair enough :-D

It just launched three apps, and then switch to Finder and hide anything else:

Code:
tell application "/Applications/Toolz/Text_Editor-Font/iText 3.5.1/iText.app"
    launch
end tell

tell application "/Applications/_Web Apps/Firefox.app"
    launch
end tell

tell application "/Applications/_Web Apps/Thunderbird.app"
    launch
end tell

tell application "Finder"
    activate
    set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not "Finder" to false
end tell

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the line that begins with "set visible" needs to change a bit but perhaps one of our scripting gurus can chime in.

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the line that begins with "set visible" needs to change a bit but perhaps one of our scripting gurus can chime in.
The funny thing is, that line sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. So maybe there's an error somewhere.
I copied it from the Net, I'm not that knowledgeable about Applescript.

I thought there should be an Applescript command for hiding any other app (kinda like "Hide others" in File menu), but I couldn't find one.

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AGAIN.
My Mac closed Finder windows again - twice in a row.
All the applied hints amounted to nothing.

My diagnosis: macOS is becoming more and more crappy. Lots of bells and whistles added, while basic functions became less and less reliable.

I've been keeping windows open in my Macs since OS9 (or even System 7, can't remember now :) ), and they always performed reliably. Even Windows OS can now keep its windows open.
In the meantime, every newer macOS version I'm using, has more and more annoying quirks and glitches. I yearn for the stability of Snow Leopard, or even Tiger.

Crap crap crap. :-(((

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In Finder preferences, under General is a box that is labelled something like "New Finder windows show:" and a selection box. One option is "Recents." Have you tried that? I know you said each time you want fifteen different folders to open magically, but if what you want is to return to recently opened folders, that might work for you.

As for Finder closing windows, I have never seen that, ever, on any Mac, from Snow Leopard to Ventura. That has to be something on your system unique to you, not a general defect in macOS.

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Finder preferences, under General is a box that is labelled something like "New Finder windows show:" and a selection box. One option is "Recents." Have you tried that?
No, I might try that.
I usually use the "Go / Recent folders" to open some windows again.

As for Finder closing windows, I have never seen that, ever, on any Mac, from Snow Leopard to Ventura. That has to be something on your system unique to you, not a general defect in macOS.
It might be. But, again, what could it be?
I did a fresh install of macOS 10.12, just to have a clean system. I set up this Mini less than a month ago (besides, I'm quite competent with Macs and I'm an ex-programmer). This baffles me.

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE

I had three apps in "Login items"; one is "Logitech Gaming Software.app" and I had the suspicion it was it closing my windows. Looks like it was: since I removed it from "Login items", my Finder windows never closed anymore. Yay! :)

Honestly I have no idea why that was happening, but I'm happy the problem is solved.
Now I will try to launch the same app thru an Applescript at boot, and see if the issues persists.

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE 2

Launching "Logitech Gaming Software.app" within an Applescript (in turn launched from "Login Items") no more closes my Finder's windows. So I tamed the beast! ;-D

Honestly I can't fathom why LGS behaved badly from Login Items, but it doesn't from the Applescript. Computers are mysterious stuff, I reckon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My diagnosis: macOS is becoming more and more crappy. Lots of bells and whistles added, while basic functions became less and less reliable.
A bit premature, wouldn't you say? …since you traced it to a third party

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One could even say it was….

Spock.gif

OP
ValterV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course I was mistaken. I thought it was an OS quirk (why on Earth a keyboard driver would close Finder windows?!?).
Well, with my updates I showed I was wrong, and macOS has nothing to do with this issue. :)

OTOH, I still believe macOS sometimes gets worse instead than better... ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.