MacKeeper pop-up site

Reaction score
I have started to receive unwanted pop-up sites in Safari ex. MacKeeper wanting me to clean-up my Mac and also advertising sites. Do you know firstly what MacKeeper is and if it can be trusted and secondly how I get rid of the unwanted adverts?

Reaction score
I've been getting them for years because i visit too many sites which purpose is only to get as many sleazy advertisers as possible just to make a buck. (Getting slightly angry and frustrated every time it pops-up ... or when i think about it)

The first time it popped up i didn't want to click on accept because it was aggressive and i was scared the **** thing would be installed on my Mac. It pops up even though pop-ups are blocked. I couldn't get the pop-up to close without clicking on accept so i closed Safari all together.

Big mistake. My Mac, especially Safari had major problems for about a week, made my life miserable. It was so slow and erratic like it was taken over by a virus. I couldn't get my Mac back to normal.

Then one day, i got another Mackeeper pop-up and i clicked on accept and immediately closed the tab. Safari (and my Mac) went back to normal after that.

In my experience MacKeeper acted like a virus that took my Mac hostage. I really hate the aggressive way it presents itself by popping up unwanted and taking your browser hostage. I suspect them of planting some kind of code that slows down your Mac in order to purchase their product. Even now when you get a pop-up it hijacks Safari until you click on accept. There is no way i would ever in my life purchase or trust a program that presents itself so hostile.

The only thing i would strongly recommend is to stay away from Mackeeper as far as possible. If the program was any good, it would have gotten excellent reviews and it would be known.

DO NOT PURCHASE IT!!!
Click on accept and immediately close the pop-up.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do a search on this site for "remove MacKeeper" you will find reams of info and links to sites with instructions on how to do this and why you shouldn't touch it.
Having said that download Adware Medic here; AdwareMedic
and run it that should get rid of the popups. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
go with the holy trinity:

adware medic (as Rod states above - just follow the link)
adblock plus
gostery
(both these can be found by clicking safari, and then safari extensions)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Don't go to those sites, (you know the ones) and be careful of what you download, because there is malware out there, and this Mac Keeper business, is BIG business and they are relentless in how they advertise and what they do to a machine, once its on. There is NO way to completely get rid of it, and even when you think you have, you see your CPU topping out at 200% and you look in Activity Monitor, and you see Zeobit crap running in the background, after deleting it.

Google Mac Keeper Scam, and see what comes up.

Do what people said above, use everything you can to stop the popups.

PS : Mac-Forums has no affiliation with it either, they just have no control over who advertises on the site

Reaction score
first time this has happened to me and it's really extremely frustrating. I know I foolishly believed that my media player needed an update along with Java something or other. Since I was about to watch a video I did and 3 days later here i am.
I'm going to try googling the macKeeper scam and hopefully I'll find some instruction for blocking/uninstalling adware, malware or some such before I throw my mac out the window. No. I'll calm down and let you know what did or did not work and thanks for everyone's previous replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As a final check when you get through all the macKeeper uninstallers and stuff, do a final sweep with Find Any File searching for anything containing macKeeper, keeper, and Zeobit and Trash them. Assuming that they aren't part of any normal software, which I'd doubt.

Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Appcleaner works for most uninstalls. However, those installations that are more complex such as MS Office require special removal instructions. Appcleaner will not remove all of MacKeeper. The "Find Any File" app is better to use in that situation. Also there are specific instructions available for removing MacKeeper. Follow those first.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I hesitate to suggest this but over many years I have been successfully using Clean My Mac. It is now in its second incarnation as CleanMyMac 2 and version 2.1.3. I am as cautious as the next person about this type of software as it is very similar to other apps like Mac Keeper and I have seen threads in this forum describing it as crapware butit has never caused me one iota of trouble. It is however very good at rooting out apps' associated files and leftovers. When removing some apps I have been amazed to find there were as many as ten associated files some of which bear no similarity to the name of the app. Find Any File is however very good but you need to know what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have recently discovered Hazel http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php and I have simply dragged BIG programs like MS Word to the trash, and I'm amazed at what it will find and ask if I want to delete associated files.
Hazel is primarily a nice little housekeeper, and I use it with a lot of rules, to do the mundane tasks that I hate doing, like cleaning up my Desktop at the end of the day, or sorting out my downloads folder at the end of whenever every week, but I tell you, the file finding and trashing side of it is very powerful..

I love it, because i can now do work, while it does all the chores :)

Sent iPad Mini using Mac Forums App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Knowing you young diggers Brent ~ Hazel wearing a dinky little French maid's outfit?

Reaction score
Rid MacKeeper pop-up

U pc might be having an adware.
Download free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware from here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and perform a full system scan for malwares.

Also get Adblock Plus for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...
Install it and it will block any further ads and popups.

Always make sure u hav an updated antivirus before download and install anything from internet to pc.

Hope this helps...!!!
Source(s):
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140720214645AANmVsn&submit=y

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.