macKeeper how to get rid of it

Reaction score
How do you get rid of MacKeeper that keeps popping up when on the internet. It is not installed on my Mac. But constantly comes up and tells me that my Mac needs cleaning. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, I have blocked pop ups etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unfortunately, even with any browser with Ad Block and others like it installed, it and other such "cleaning" app ads can still show up, and they must have a huge advertising budget.

I use the AdBlock for Safari extension and still sometimes see the ads, but maybe install it if you haven't done so already and see if things improve for you.

Just don't download and install MacKeeper as it's a bit of a PITA to remove all its installed bits and pieces when one discovers they probably don't need it. And I can't think of a user that would. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How do you get rid of MacKeeper that keeps popping up when on the internet. It is not installed on my Mac. But constantly comes up and tells me that my Mac needs cleaning. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, I have blocked pop ups etc.

Hi - pertinent to Pm-r's comments, are you sure that MacKeeper is not installed on your computer? Check their website & your Applications folder and let us know? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Funny you say this, because my Fiancee downloaded something from Deviant Art, and now she gets them all the time as well. I did a clean sweep with ClamXav and then had to do a clean reinstall of her OS.

If these are pop ups that open a new browser window when you click on something in your main browser Window, I think there is someone targeting the Mac :( Sad thing is, my girl, used her Admin Password to install what ever it was, and had warned her over and over.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Funny you say this, because my Fiancee downloaded something from Deviant Art, and now she gets them all the time as well. I did a clean sweep with ClamXav and then had to do a clean reinstall of her OS.

If these are pop ups that open a new browser window when you click on something in your main browser Window, I think there is someone targeting the Mac :( Sad thing is, my girl, used her Admin Password to install what ever it was, and had warned her over and over.

I'm noticing these so called "Browser Traps" popping up more and more myself. Seems they are malware programs attached to html that can lockup your browser until you either pay or buy a service. Really just another form of hostage ware. The nasty thing is Mac users used to be free of these things once but times they are achanging.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for reply's will double check to make sure it is definitely on the Mac tonight.

OP
W
Reaction score
MacKeeper

Checked on my Mac thoroughly, it is not installed any where.
Not even on applications, so I am at a loss where it keeps coming from!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Source of garbage

My recent experience is that a lot of such garbage comes attached to downloads from cnet (download.com). This NEVER happened in the past before cnet took over macdownload. Beware of "freeware" from such sources.

If you must use download services, check your browser immediately afterwards for unrecognized extensions & inactivate them. Life is too short to waste time cleaning up such garbage.

OP
W
Reaction score
MacKeeper

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not installed AdBlocker or similar as I really do not trust the web sights what if the program installs but a Trojan as well.
I will tonight look at the other suggestions and if they do not help the last resort is to take the Mac into the Apple Store and get them to take a look, maybe there is something I have over looked. Please keep the comments coming in the mean time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best comment is go with AdBlock Plus.

The only guaranteed 100% safe and sure way is .. not have a computer!

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank You

Thank You all for your suggestions, I was not willing to get a programme to get rid of MacKeeper. In desperation I telephoned Apple, the guy fixed it easy in about 10 minutes.
He got me to delete 3 things from my hard drive. Every thing was fine, he told me that even though Mac Keeper et all was not installed when ever you visit websites they have the ability to plant something on your hard drive that constantly appears on your screen and bugs you.
Thanks Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank You all for your suggestions, I was not willing to get a programme to get rid of MacKeeper. In desperation I telephoned Apple, the guy fixed it easy in about 10 minutes.
He got me to delete 3 things from my hard drive. Every thing was fine, he told me that even though Mac Keeper et all was not installed when ever you visit websites they have the ability to plant something on your hard drive that constantly appears on your screen and bugs you.
Thanks Apple!

Hi Walking - glad that you were helped by Apple, but you might want to provide the three removal steps suggested, if you remember; might help others w/ a similar problem? Thanks - Dave :)

Reaction score
My husband had to call Apple on this today. They guy tapped into his computer and had him remove several files...VSearch is what was key, and he checked all the Internet plug-ins under Safari preferences, security, internet plug-ins, website settings. After deleting all files (and emptying the trash) my husband's Mac is running great with no mackeeper highjackings. Sorry I can't post exact steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Avid downloading fron CNET and Softonic, and run AdBlockPlus, Ghostery and AdwareMedic for scanning adware problems.

We are getting quite like the Windows world with adware included in software downloads from questionable sources. The latest to do this was Avast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some other bits left over form a MacKeeper install are various files or folders that have or contain the name zeobit.

One can find them and delete any easily using Find Any File.
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.