Macintosh Slowdowns

Reaction score
There has been a noticeable uptick in the number of users who are reporting that their Macintosh has suddenly gone from being a good performer, to being a very disappointing performer. Folks are reporting that they are seeing the rotating beachball cursor way too often, or that their computer is showing signs of "built-in obsolescence" (people love their conspiracy theories) even though their Mac was a rocket when it was new, and that nothing helps.

I already had a Web page to help users whose Mac's had slowed down, but suddenly a lot of folks are reporting that none of the recommendations on that page are helping.

So, after going through a bunch of troubleshooting with a number of users, and doing a lot of research, it turns out that there are several new things that are commonly causing Macs to suddenly slowdown. Not a lot of Mac users are aware of these new things. I've added them right at the top of my Web page at:

Macintosh Slowdown Solutions

Please let me know if the page helps with your Macintosh slowdown problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not a lot of Mac users are aware of these new things. I've added them right at the top of my Web page at:

Maybe the admins could move this information to the top of the forums list for existing and new members where I would get noticed properly.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
There has been a noticeable uptick in the number of users who are reporting that their Macintosh has suddenly gone from being a good performer, to being a very disappointing performer. Folks are reporting that they are seeing the rotating beachball cursor way too often, or that their computer is showing signs of "built-in obsolescence" (people love their conspiracy theories) even though their Mac was a rocket when it was new, and that nothing helps.

I already had a Web page to help users whose Mac's had slowed down, but suddenly a lot of folks are reporting that none of the recommendations on that page are helping.

So, after going through a bunch of troubleshooting with a number of users, and doing a lot of research, it turns out that there are several new things that are commonly causing Macs to suddenly slowdown. Not a lot of Mac users are aware of these new things. I've added them right at the top of my Web page at:

Please let me know if the page helps with your Macintosh slowdown problem!
I ran the remove app feature on CleanMyMac X to remove Chrome and it removed all the files you suggested. I was surprised!

Reaction score
I just discovered one problem. It is livable but a PITA. I subscribe to Youtube TV and Brave cancels my login on exit. There may be a way around this. Does anybody know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There may be a way around this. Does anybody know?
If there is no Setting in Brave, then the only way to not have to logins to not "exit" Brave.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also, 1Password closes on exit and needs a password to re-open.

That’s a security feature. After all, every PW you use is in there along with other personal info - bank details etc.

In fact, if you leave 1PW open, it self-closes after a certain time period.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The famous Macintosh news site, MacInTouch, just gave a shoutout to my Slowdown Solutions Web site!
Mac slowdown suggestions – MacInTouch

Congratulations on your article's exposure at Ric Ford's MacInTouch site but I must admit I haven't been visiting his site for quite a while even though I used to be quite an active member many years ago.

As I recall his site changed format quite drastically and then seem to disappear for quite a while several years ago and I keep forgetting that it seems to have resurrected itself some years ago but I kept forgetting to check it out.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear his site is still going and supporting the Mac community.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
cally and then seem to disappear for quite a while several years ago and I keep forgetting that it seems to have resurrected itself some years ago but I kept forgetting to check it out.

Yes, at some point a few years ago he announced the he was going to retire and that he wouldn't be updating the site anymore.

He must have missed doing it, because at a certain point the site came back, and he even re-coded the site so that it can be read on i-devices.

I've been through fits and starts with my Web sites like that.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I just discovered one problem. It is livable but a PITA. I subscribe to Youtube TV and Brave cancels my login on exit. There may be a way around this. Does anybody know?

You should contact either YouTube TV or Brave, or both, and ask for assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
because at a certain point the site came back, and he even re-coded the site so that it can be read on i-devices.

That's rather interesting, but why should a site have to change its coding for its web pages to work with Apple's iDevices, as I would have thought Apple should have created and allowed their iOS applications to read and adjust such web pages to work properly with their ID devices without a web page owner having to make all kinds of coding adjustments to make them accessible and readable???

- Patrick
=======

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
That's rather interesting, but why should a site have to change its coding for its web pages to work with Apple's iDevices, as I would have thought Apple should have created and allowed their iOS applications to read and adjust such web pages to work properly with their ID devices without a web page owner having to make all kinds of coding adjustments to make them accessible and readable???

It would be lovely if Apple had done that, but they didn't.

If you create a Web site for a personal computer, it will look exactly the same on an iOS device. Since many iOS devices have a tiny screen (e.g. an iPhone), the site will be too small to read comfortably.

A perfect example is my own Slowdown Solutions Web site. It isn't optimized for iOS, so it is practically unreadable on an iPhone (without doing a lot of pinching and squeezing maneuvers) :

A Web site that is optimized so that it also looks good on an iPhone will do one of two things. It will either substitute entirely different code, that is optimized JUST for iOS, or, a new, more modern way, the site will recognize that you are running iOS and the text will all re-wrap and re-size to be optimal for your screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.