Macintosh SE programmer's button

Reaction score
I know that Macintosh SE 1/20 is quite old but I think that this is the right place to post. Otherwise, please tell me...

As you know the SE series have two little buttons on their motherboard that when pressed either load the debugger program or reset the computer. The "programmer's button" is a small plastic piece with two shafts that is inserted into the ventilation slots. Here is a photo of the button already mounted on the Macintosh:

n3cf3oR.jpg

I got one to be able to reset the Mac without having to press the main power switch. In addition to the practical reset button, the second button loads the debugger and allows access to an easter egg that shows the photos of the Macintosh development team. Theoretically the button is pressed and a Finder error message appears on the screen and when you press ENTER a debugger window appears to enter commands.

cc5Tsuu.jpg

Entering the string "D 4189A" the photos should come out but in my case I could not because the only time that the window was shown I wrote the string but when I hit enter the Finder error message came out again.

qe7dA2o.jpg

After several attempts the debugger window has not come out again. If I press the button for a couple of seconds the Mac freezes and does nothing, if I make a longer press the Finder error message appears but it loops and it stays there. I have seen a couple of videos and explanations on the Internet but I still could not get it.

Any ideas?

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, finally it's already solved:

The trick is to press the button around 7 seconds and once released press it again but just "press and release" and in this way the debugger window comes.

Unfortunatelly it seems that my ROM has not the pictures recorded on it (it's an Macintosh SE 1/20) because once the command is entered nothing happens. On the other hand the message "Stolen from Apple Computers" is present and shown.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for letting us know. Have fun and keep us updated on your adventures with older Macs. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.