macintosh as a wi-fi hotspot for ipad - is it possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Can I use my macintosh as a wi-fi hotspot and use that to connect an ipad to the internet. Using the wi-fi only version of the ipad. I ask this cause I have not the finances nor the want to pay a monthly fee for a 3G service I'd rarely ever make full use of.

If I could do this it'd be cool. But I'm not sure it's possible. Well it would be possible to stream the net signnal out from my Mac with the airport setings or something. Heck I do this to sent my net to get my Wii online. But the question is would Apple allow this and have it set up in the ipad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I think the airport ability on the Mac is to connect it to a wifi hotspot/router, and not to serve as one. (If I'm wrong someone will set the record strait shortly).

The good news is that you can get a wifi router for not too much money. Also, ISP's seem to provide wifi as part of their services as a matter of course these days, often the modem has a wifi router built in. Maybe it is time you renegotiated your service agreement? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you can create a Wi-Fi network with your Mac and have the iPad connect to it. However, you can't also use Airport to connect to a wireless router at the same time. So if you create a wireless network, you'll need to use another means of connecting to the Internet, such as Ethernet, tethering with a smartphone, or a cellular card (though if you have the latter then you might as well get the cheaper iPad plan).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont think so ... I havnt been able to get it going with my iPod Touch :( Mind you i havnt delved into it a great deal as im always @ home with my wireless network or at the Golden Arches using there free on lol

Hopefully Telstra or someone will come up with a pre-paid for a 3g service as this would suit my needs more so. ... Can only hope i suppose :)

EDIT : @ kash. Thanks for that as it answers my problem ..

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I might have to look into my ISP agreement. Because currently I do as you say. Wired internet router to my mac then airport that net stream to my Wii. So a similar setup should work just replace Wii with ipad. I'd have to ask if my net router is a wi-fi router too.

Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
It is possible, and a fairly common practice amongst college students.

Under system preferences, select sharing. You can then enable internet sharing.

This will allow ipod or ipad access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Back in college I had used internet sharing to let other people with laptops connect to the internet through my MBP, so it should work for anything with wifi I would think.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Back in college I had used internet sharing to let other people with laptops connect to the internet through my MBP, so it should work for anything with wifi I would think.

Yes, it will work that way. I do it all the time here. Ethernet from the internet into Mac and then use Airport send out a WiFi Signal like an Access Point. I have used it here with PC's, Macs and my iPhone via WiFi. Works great.

C

chas_m

Yes it will work with Internet Sharing from a local computer.

Furthermore, there's a little device called the MiFi that turns cellular data into a wifi hotspot, allowing you to do "wifi" anywhere there's a cell signal.

Both of these options will work with the iPad out of the box, since nothing extra is required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2019, apple watch 5, iphone 11 pro max, ipad pro 12.9 inch 2nd gen. air pods, numerous
you can also buy an inexpensive travel router, like netcomm. it's compact and portable. i plug my aircard into it and can connect iphone, ipad and macbook pro wirelessly. you can take it anywhere and be online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Back in college I had used internet sharing...
Ah, to be young! Here is how we used computers when I was in college!

punchcard.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Just type Internet Sharing in Finder Help box.....

To set up Internet sharing:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sharing.
Select Internet Sharing.

Choose the Internet connection you want to share from the “Share your connection from” pop-up menu. For example, if you’re connected to the Internet over Ethernet, choose Ethernet.

Select how you want to share your Internet connection in the “To computers using” list. For example, if you want to share your Internet connection over AirPort, select AirPort.

If you share your Internet connection using AirPort, click AirPort Options and give your network a name and password.

I'm connected via a mobile 3G USB modem so can easily share with an iPad via Airport (WiFi)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
It appears Internet sharing allows you to hard wire the computer (using Ethernet), then share that internet connection wirelessly (through the airport card).

At work our wifi is mac filtered, the day I got my iPad the person who manages the wifi was not in, so i could not connect my iPad to the internet. Luckily a co-worker knew about a program for windows 7 that allowed him to re-board cast a wifi connection that is coming in already through wifi. Unfortunately I don't think OSX can do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.