Macintosh And Space Satellites - Tracking, Photographing, Etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2012) and MacBook Pro (2015)
I am normally a lurker here but...

Disclaimer - this is NOT something that I intend to get paid for!

As a dedicated Mac user, I wanted to track satellites and get photos of them using the Mac. This has been a two year voyage of discovery (and much frustration) since there is software but little support; you have to go to many sites and dig deeply. But I have gotten several things working great.

This might be of interest to astronomers, science teachers, photographers, etc. I use Macs to see where satellites are going to be (so you could look at them, etc) and do some analysis. I take photos of satellites as they go over head and produce "observations" so that you can generate orbital parameters for them. I have not yet gotten that orbital parameter generation software running, I currently depend on others to do that for me.

First - there IS a lot of good Mac software, both running in Java or as a Unix application. I put together a web page (see the disclaimer above):

Mac Satellite Tracking Applications

If you want to track satellites (there are many good reasons to do this):

Optical Satellite Tracking

Hopefully this comes in handy for someone.

Charles
amateur astronomer, orbital analysis, astrophotography, coding in C, C++, Objective-C

usa-281.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks for posting this information. I have previously tried satellite trackers for my iPhone, but never really thought much about it while sitting at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.