MacInstall

Reaction score
I keep getting a dialogue box that warns me to install InstallMac upgrades and programs.

I have no idea what this means, and could find nothing about it @ the Apple.com site. It says to go to moosenet to download it. (I believe)

I looked in the apps and utilities folder and could not notice anything with this name.

Is this some sort of thing that has made it's way into my computer? What should I do?

I am running 10.6.8 on a MBP
Thanks in advance

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When are you getting these popups? Are they when you happen to be browsing the web?

In any case, take a look at AdwareMedic. If you have any adware on your machine (which this could be), this should be able to identify it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
From what i've found so for InstallMac appears to be a variation OF another piece of adware called Genio. Give these directions a try and let us know the result.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
When are you getting these popups? Are they when you happen to be browsing the web?

In any case, take a look at AdwareMedic. If you have any adware on your machine (which this could be), this should be able to identify it.

Thanks Van,
I get them on startup of chrome.
The adware program only works on Lion and later but I will forward it to another computer. Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
From what i've found so for InstallMac appears to be a variation OF another piece of adware called Genio. Give these directions a try and let us know the result.

Thanks Slydude,
Went to that link, tried the removal program which didn't work, but then I happened to find the InstallMac program in the apps folder on a closer look. It wasn't in the alphabetical position. I dumped that and when I went into the Chrome preferences I found the searchmoose page which had been accidentally agreed to and entered. All gone and problem fixed. Thanks for all the help!
Monique

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that helped. These things are working on everyone's nerves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And avoid downloading applications from softonic and CNET who include these items as part of the parcel. Now like Windows, we install things we know nothing about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.