macbookpro 13 Install windows 7 on separate hdd using external Blu ray drive problems

Reaction score
I have recently replace my dvd drive with a hdd. I now want to install windows 7 on the 2nd bay hdd (separate from my osx hdd). I have formatted the 2nd bay hard drive. When it restarts to install windows 7 it comes up with a black screen with a flashing line. After that it does nothing. I am using a external blu ray drive can that have some effect. Can any help cheers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've covered this before but it's worth repeating:

You can not install Windows on your Mac from an external optical drive. You will need to place the primary drive back where it was and the original optical drive back in place. Install Windows 7 from the original optical drive to your primary hard drive using the usual Boot Camp procedure. After Windows is installed you can move things around again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Can I put the optical drive back in & install on external hdd? or Could I install windows with a iso on a flash drive?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Windows will not allow itself to be installed on an external drive - even on one of those other PCs.

Here's one tutorial on using a thumb drive - you're going to need a Windows machine to do it though - link. You could search for others - put "MacBook Air" in your search.

OP
M
Reaction score
What if i put the hard drive that I'm going to use in my pc to install windows 7 then take it out & put it in the macbook. Then install Bootcamp. Will it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
No I doubt it. Windows configures itself using information from the machine it is installed on and it certainly wouldn't match.

Reaction score
ok I'm in a similar situation

I recently bought a new 15" MPB with an apple installed 128gb SSD drive.

My plan was to install a 2nd hard drive in the DVD spot, a 500gb with a 70ish GB win7 partition. I would like to use Win 7 for screencasting for windows tutorials and for Gaming...mostly for gaming :)

could I install the win7 partition to my ssd boot drive and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the partition to the 500gb?

I'd like to avoid having the win7 install on my 128gb ssd if at all possible

its actually kind of an interesting problem...but I'm stumped

any and all help appreciated.

I have the 2nd drive already installed and working

Reaction score
also I tried the USB drive thing and it didn't work, had a usb drive made with the macbook air boot camp

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't use CCC or SuperDuper to clone the Windows partition to another drive because both utilities require HFS+ formatting to do the cloning.

What you might try is WinClone (free). It's no longer being developed but it works fairly well for copying NTFS partitions. It does not work well with FAT-32.

Even if you do get it all to work, you'll likely need a boot manager so that you can boot directly into Windows 7 from the SSD. You might want to give a look at rEFIt. It's free but a bit complicated to install and get working right. I have used it several times and when it's set up correctly it works great.

Reaction score
update
last night I got my 500gb drive ready in an external enclosure using a windows machine
partitioned 100gb ntfs and 400gb exfat
installed the drive and then used win clone to clone the image to the ntfs partition
win clone reported the operation was completed successfully
when I restarted the machine the 2nd windows partition(since my original bootcamp partition was still on my osx boot drive) showed up as a bootable partition
I chose the partition and it started to load windows...but...
the loading screen appeared to be different(more on that later)
it got a ways into a windows boot and then did a lightning fast blue screen which I couldn't see the message on and then restarted into osx

the next time I tried the recovery console came up and gave me the 'safe mode' option but also mentioned a windows Vista installation...huh?

tried again in safe mode...same blue screen and osx restart

so

I then wiped the partitions and recloned my bootcamp partition using winclone thinking maybe something went wrong with the image and reclone
partitioned my 500gb drive using osx disk utility
100gb fat and 400gb exfat
re-imaged the 100gb partition winclone reported the operation successful
tried to boot and same problem, windows starts to load and then lightning fast blue screen with osx restart

I then tried installing refit to see if that would solve anything
same results

it appears as though the 2nd hard drive is not going to work as a windows install

anyone have any ideas?????
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bootcamp has to do the partitioning, and the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled), GUID partition in one single partition prior to starting Bootcamp Assistant. If you can ever get Winclone to work you are luckier then I.

Reaction score
another update
I tried using bootcamp assistant to create the partition on the 2nd drive...that went well, created the partition and then stopped installation. used winclone to re-image partition. appeared to complete successfully but then same problem.

-what appears to be vista loading animation
-super fast blue screen(no idea how to freeze on blue screen)
-restart into osx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.