MacbookAir 2015 logging itself out when the lid is closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
Hi Everybody:

Hoping someone has an explanation for why the last few times my Air has been closed for a long time, like overnight, it logs itself out. I can't find anywhere that I have requested it to do this, and it wasn't until the last few days.

I guess it's not a big deal except that maybe it is restarting because I opened the lid today to find MSWord stuck in the process of closing. Now it is frozen on the message "Do you want to save the changes to X document," and I am going to have to force quit it and lose my changes.

Obviously I should have saved it before I closed the lid, but that is a different issue :Blushing:

Help please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look here:

System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Advanced (you must click the lock and enter your password first), Log out after...........

If that box is checked, remove the check mark and then exit from Security & Privacy. (There could also be other reasons your MacBook Air logs itself out.)

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
Thank You. I've just done that and will see if it resolves the problem. Since it is a new problem and that box has been checked since I set my Air up, I suspect that it is not the problem, unless my lid is not closing completely

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If that box was checked, that is your problem. ;) Keep in mind that "inactivity" is the key word here....

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that box was checked, that is your problem. ;) Keep in mind that "inactivity" is the key word here....

I assumed that "inactivity" meant when the lid is open. Plus, why was it not doing this before? I have a Macbook of some sort since 2000, and I have never had this happen before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.