Macbook won't go past spinning wheel & disk0s2 error

Reaction score
Hi.
I've obtained a macbook from a mate which she claimed no longer worked, and am currently trying to fix it. It originally did not turn on, so I obtained a macbook charger and it has now turned on. However, it gets to the apple logo and the spinning wheel and just goes no further.

I've tried the following to fix the problem:
- have tried running 'fsck' with numerous combinations. One of the combinations results in the error 'disk0s2: i/o error'.

- I've also tried the '/sbin/mount -uw/' combination but it doesn't seem to fix anything.

I'm not worried about trying to regain any the personal files on the PC, so a full reformat is fine, however, I do not own a mac os CD/DVD. Do I require one? Can you obtain downloadable old versions from apple or do all copies need to be purchased?

I'm a windows PC user usually, so mac is new to me.
Sorry if I've asked any silly questions.
Details of PC below.

Cheers,
Sean

Macbook A1181
2 GHz (C2D, Late 2006) MacBook 13"
Product Version: 10.6.8
Build Version: 10K549

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi.
I've obtained a macbook from a mate which she claimed no longer worked, and am currently trying to fix it. It originally did not turn on, so I obtained a macbook charger and it has now turned on. However, it gets to the apple logo and the spinning wheel and just goes no further.

I've tried the following to fix the problem:
- have tried running 'fsck' with numerous combinations. One of the combinations results in the error 'disk0s2: i/o error'.

- I've also tried the '/sbin/mount -uw/' combination but it doesn't seem to fix anything.

I'm not worried about trying to regain any the personal files on the PC, so a full reformat is fine, however, I do not own a mac os CD/DVD. Do I require one? Can you obtain downloadable old versions from apple or do all copies need to be purchased?

I'm a windows PC user usually, so mac is new to me.
Sorry if I've asked any silly questions.
Details of PC below.

Cheers,
Sean

Macbook A1181
2 GHz (C2D, Late 2006) MacBook 13"
Product Version: 10.6.8
Build Version: 10K549

C

chas_m

The I/O error indicates that the hard drive is probably toast. Step one would be replacing it.

You can order a DVD of Snow Leopard (10.6) from Apple for $20. You will need this to install an OS on a machine that old.

After those two things have been done, you will PROBABLY have a perfectly working old MacBook. Worth probably what you paid for the replacement drive and the DVD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
From the sounds of things I suspect the hard drive is failing / has failed. Since you have already tried the fsck route with no luck my next step would be to attempt to boot from a boot CD/DVD. If it can boot at least you know the machine itself is probably OK even if the hard drive still produces errors. This also gives you a way to format a new hard drive if one is needed.

The Snow Leopard sac can be purchased from Apple online. AFAIK it is not available in the brick and mortar stores. If you are in the US the disc can be purchased here. Outside the US do a search in the Apple site for your country.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude.

Is 'Snow Leopard' the latest os that will work on this MacBook? As I understand there is also Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite. Is my MacBook to old for these later versions?

Also, if the HD is failing or has failed, will a reformat fix the problem or do you mean it is actually 'on it's last legs' so to speak and will need to be replaced? I assume replacement HD's can be purchased on ebay etc?

Thanks in advance

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MacTracker app says that machine can go as far as 10.7.5. You can download it from the Mac App store. MacTracker says that Mac can handle a maximum of 3 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
S
Reaction score
Actually, depending on which Macbook A1181 2.0 GHz model it is, some can use a lot more the 3GB RAM:
Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

Thanks Slydude & pm-r.
I can't install and use the mactracker app as I can't boot into the laptop at all. However, I did some searching on everymac.com and found the tech specs for my model. It states:

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.4.8 (8N1108)
Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*
*This system can run the last version of OS X 10.7 "Lion" if upgraded to at least 2 GB of RAM. However, although it has a 64-bit processor, it has a 32-bit EFI and is not capable of booting into 64-bit mode. It does not support "OpenCL" either. Please also note that OS X Lion is not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as it does not support the "Rosetta" environment.

After reading, I think I'm probably best just sticking with 'Snow Leopard 10.6.8'.
Your thoughts? I can't imagine my friend would have updated the RAM to 2GB, so it's probably just the default 1GB.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally we have no problem with and when using 'Snow Leopard 10.6.8' on our Macs.

And on older Macs, I it just works better than later OSs, and one can still use older applications that might need Rosetta to run. And it definitely runs better if only 1GB RAM is available.

OP
S
Reaction score
Personally we have no problem with and when using 'Snow Leopard 10.6.8' on our Macs.

And on older Macs, I it just works better than later OSs, and one can still use older applications that might need Rosetta to run. And it definitely runs better if only 1GB RAM is available.

Thanks pm-r.
I've ordered snow leopard from the apple site so will try it out once it's here. I'll post if this fixes the problem - I'm assuming if it doesn't then the HD probably needs to replaced. Any advice on sites for replacement MacBook parts?

Thanks for all your help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used Other World Computing numerous times. Their site can suggest suitable drives. Once you know the right dimensions of the drive though a variety of other sites, Tiger Direct, NewEgg, etc, may also have deals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A cheaper approach would be to get hold of a compatible external and working drive to use it for testing to check whether the MacBook can even boot and run from it.

There may be other problems that not even a new OS X install or a replacement hard drive can fix.

Just a thought, especially on a unknown MacBook's state when acquired… other than "not working". :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey.
Just thought I'd post to let you know the outcome. I received the Snow Leopard DVD and booted the mac via the disk to repair. Seemed to fix the problem. All the files were still there and was able to reboot without the DVD.
Thanks for all your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey.
Just thought I'd post to let you know the outcome. I received the Snow Leopard DVD and booted the mac via the disk to repair. Seemed to fix the problem. All the files were still there and was able to reboot without the DVD.
Thanks for all your help

Good news, especially for a "... macbook from a mate which she claimed no longer worked!!! ;)

For heavens sake don't lose or misplace that Snow Leopard DVD install disk!! :D

C

chas_m

I would keep your backups up-to-date. A drive that old that previously exhibited I/O errors is probably near failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.