Macbook won't boot

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not well versed in mac, but the school I work for is all mac. My work laptop is an older white macbook, beyond that I couldn't tell you much. Last night it ran out of battery and shut off, after plugging it in overnight I attempted to use it this morning. It attempted to boot up but froze so i did a hard restart.

Now I turns on to the grey screen with a loading bar and gets about 10-15% of the way before the bar disappears and the loading wheel continues to spin, I left it alone for an hour without any results. I can't seem to get it to boot into safemode. The loading bar appears not matter what key combos I try. Any suggestions? It's a three day weekend and all my work is trapped on this mac.

Reaction score
most likely when you hard shut down the mac you caused a hard drive corruption good thing its usually easy to fix just boot via a startup disk select utilities disk utility and select the hard drive and the first aid tab and select repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Doesn't help but run off mains when at home. Have you tried plugging it on with mains power also on for three or fours hours?

OP
M
Reaction score
most likely when you hard shut down the mac you caused a hard drive corruption good thing its usually easy to fix just boot via a startup disk select utilities disk utility and select the hard drive and the first aid tab and select repair permissions

I don't have access to the boot disk, is there an alternate option? Normally I would wait until I could talk to the tech guy on campus (who is usually useless anyways) but I have to work this weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.