Macbook (White)

Reaction score
I installed a new 500mb drive and tried to format and install but the drive was not recognized. So I hooked up another macbook. I then restarted the first mac in target and the new drive showed up on the second macs desktop. Using the dvd drive on the first mac with the new drive which also showed up on the second mac I was able to format and instal, but when it asked for the second disc to finish installation, the first one never popped out and because it was in target disc mode I couldn't eject it. I couldn't eject it from the second mac either. So I had to shut down and start over. So doing the same as before this time I restarted and used the second mac in target disc mode. This allowed me to see the unformatted disc on the proper desktop with the working dvd drive. So I was able to format and install OS X. However when I restarted, I still got the circle with the line. I restarted again putting back the first mac in target disc mode and saw the drive mount on the second macbook. I then restarted the second macbook using the newly formatted OS X drive from the first and it booted and I was now running just fine on the second mac from the new drive from the first. So...It seems both macs are fine, both drives are fine, the problem is this is the only way I can see the new drive. Whenever I try to boot normally, I just keep getting the circle with the line. I think its because I installed the software using the good second mac thru firewire as so I thinks its a external firewire drive not a internal drive. My question is, is there any way for me to make a change so It will see the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why don't you just boot from a compatible OS X Install disk and then you can use it to partition/format etc. and install the OS?

Or did I miss something that might have been missing…???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.