Macbook w/both Magic Mouse & bluetooth audio receiver...workable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
I have a 2008 white Macbook with Bluetooth (2.1). I just purchased a Magic Mouse as my first peripheral, and I am considering purchasing the Belkin Bluetooth audio receiver as my second peripheral.

First, I was wondering if the Belkin adapter will work at all. Second, I was wondering if the two devices can function simultaneously without any error. I would really like to stream the audio to my deluxe 400 W speakers at the other end of the room from my desk, and bluetooth seems like the obvious best choice to do so. However, I do not want to affect the performance of my Magic Mouse in any way.

Thank you in advance,
PowerofUNIX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
this is not directly answering your question, and i realise the bigger cost in this but have you considered purchasing an airport express and using airtunes? if the receiver and magic mouse work simultaneously then i can see that the above would be a pointless extra cost but if not it could be another option for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Back when I used bluetooth with my old verizon phone when transferring files between it and my Macbook there was a definite slowdown/jerkiness of mouse cursor movement. This indicated that the bluetooth bandwidth was being seriously saturated, and rendered the mouse unusable. I'd turn it off when transferring stuff, but with something that has continuos transfer might render a bluetooth mouse not so functional. This was with a Mighty Mouse, but I'm sure the Magic Mouse uses the same tech when it comes to talking to the computer.

OP
PowerofUNIX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
Hmmm...has anyone tried this setup or one very similar to it? Thank you for the replies, guys, but I'm still unsure as to whether or not this would be feasible and I don't want to spend the money if it isn't.

Reaction score
I had been using the Magic Mouse in tandem with Bluetooth AD2P headphones. However, there was noticeable congestion over Bluetooth as the headphones frequently dropped audio frames and cut in and out. I would not recommend using both simultaneously.

On another note, I ended up returning the Magic Mouse and opting for a 2.4 GHz wireless Microsoft mouse that was also more ergonomic. The Magic Mouse is very sexy, but that and its other niceties do not make up for how much it hurt my wrist after just 10 minutes of use.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think walkerj is right. I currently have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (both Apple) and a Bluetooth headset. I've noticed that there are times when the audio drops out from the headset. This is particularly true as you get closer and closer to the edge of Bluetooth range. The mouse performance doesn't suffer but audio does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.