macbook upgrade

Reaction score
OK I have a quick question, new to owning a macbook and was just given someones old macbook. it is from 2007-2009 (white case) what can be done to update the OS that is running on it? 10.5.8, I have been told that it is not possible to update the OS due to hardware limitations that Apple puts on their products. Any ideas are more than helpful..

Also it doesnt have to beable to run yosemite, just something more current

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We'll need to know a bit more about the specific Mac you have to give good advice. Go the theApple menu in the upper left corner of the screen and choose "About This Mac". A sheet will appear with some basic info about the machine. Please post that info.

BTW What you have been told about hardware limitations is not entirely accurate. That's why we need more info on the hardware.

C

chas_m

In fact, it's just a flat-out lie. Any Intel Macbook can be upgraded past 10.5.8.

OP
T
Reaction score
Any advise would be great, I would like to keep it and turn it into a "monster in sheeps clothing" if you know what I mean.

image(2).jpeg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest version of OS X that you can upgrade your MacBook to is Lion OS X 10.7.5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you contact Apple Online and purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20 and leave bit at that. Snow Leopard will run all older PowerPC applications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read my reply to you above? Again.... the latest version of OS X you can update to is Lion OS X 10.7.5. Yosemite is out of the question.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok so i guess i am a little confused, lets see if we can get me thinking properly. I can upgrade to lion with everything as is right now correct? Is there any hardware upgrades that I could do to upgrade past lion. I was under the impression by previous posts it is possible to upgrade hardware, so i assume that I would beable to upgrade the OS aswell. Please correct me if I am wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no hardware upgrades that you can do to that MacBook which would enable it to run a later version of OS X than Lion 10.7.5. Macs are not like Windows computers.

About all you can do to that machine is add more memory and change out the hard drive to a SSD. That would give you more speed but you could still not upgrade the OS past Lion.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok now my next question, (sorry for all the noob questions) do I have to upgrade to snow leopard then lion? (i think that were the versions in the order that I saw) if so best place to get them? Online downloads? or should i just go to an apple store? They are going to re-image the drive tomorrow and possibly put in a new hard-drive as well, but it is contingent on if it will be sufficient enough for me to use it.

C

chas_m

As harryb recommended, that machine will do much better with Snow Leopard in its present state, I would suggest just buying the DVD, installing that and leaving it there. If you max out the RAM and install an SSD, then perhaps Lion might be a good option for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.