Macbook troubles

Reaction score
I did a recent update for Itunes and OSx security the other day, and after restart noticed two different problems. I'm not certain that these problems occurred because of the update, but that is just when I noticed it.
First the magnifying glass that is usually in the top right corner on the menu bar is gone. I restarted my Macbook multiple times, and still will not show up.
I never used it alot, but it does come in quite handy when I did want to.
My second problem is a bit more frustrating. I am no longer able to click and drag a file, or highlight something right click copy and paste, or even highlight and command + c & v. It's a pretty irritating problem, and any advice/input would be appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Can you post the OS you are running on what MB ??
That Mag Glass is called Spotlight. Can you CMD~Spacebar and have it appear ??

We need more information to help out

Cheers

OP
Reaction score
I am using a Macbook 4.1 with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. I'm using Mac OS X v. 10.5.8

Tried the CMD~Spacebar and nothing happened. Any other info you need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
do a repair permissions then

goto

applications>utilities>disk utility and click your HD in the left column the the repair permissions tab down the bottom.
Once completed log out then back in and see how you go.

Post back

Cheers

OP
Reaction score
I tried this earlier and nothing happened still, but I'm trying it again right now. Any other suggestions? I just don't want to have to re-install my OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok well the reading i have done is do a repair disk from your install disk.
Boot up while holding 'c' key and once on the installer window select Disk utility and go through the process again.
IF this doesnt work the next option is to do a archive an install from your leopard disk.
But before you do to a complete back up, just in case something happens out of the blue.
Time Machine is good but advice is to do a bootable copy using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner both free....

Post back if still having problems :)

Cheers

OP
Reaction score
So you said to hold down the c key while booting up, you mean like the letter c cause I did this and nothing happened. Sorry, I'm not as familiar with Mac's as everyone else may be, I just got mine and loved it until this started happening... :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If holding down 'C' does not work, try holding the option key until you get the boot menu.

OP
Reaction score
The option key does nothing but bring up a picture of my hard drive when booting. After clicking on it, everything booted up like it has been. Ran the disk utility, and still nothing..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have to insert your Leopard DVD first. Then reboot while holding down the "Option" key. Select the DVD as the boot option. Run the verify and repair from the top menu Utilities, Disk Utilities. You can also do a repair permissions from there. Post back results.

You might also try logging on to your machine using another account to see if the same problem occurs. Your account may be corrupt or became corrupt after the updates you installed.

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
So I did everything you told me to with still no luck. I put my leopard disk in and held option when booted, then went to the disk utility and did a repair and verify and also the permissions. Starting to get irritated that I can't click and drag, let alone copy and paste. I also created another account and tried logging in to see if anything were different, but still no luck. Anything else I can do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.