MacBook stopped working after cleaning it from the inside

Reaction score
I decided to clean my Macbook pro completely from the inside few days ago, I looked up a tutorial on iFixit and I went ahead and removed the SSD, airport card, and both the fans to clean under them, made sure I didn't drop any liquid on anything inside..

so my problem is that when I put my Macbook together again and closed it up, I proceeded to bootup the Macbook ( I have bootcamp installed as well ) So when i booted up to bootcamp the Windows 10 logo showed and it was loading, then some blue stripes popped on the screen really fast and then disappeared, after that the screen went to complete black and nothing was happening anymore, I left it there for at least 30 minutes and it stayed completely black.

Tried to boot into MacOs and it went to the apple logo with the progress bar half full then it got stuck there too..

What should I do? I suspect that I might've wired something incorrectly inside the Macbook, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best advice we can give you is to disassemble your MacBook Pro again and go over the ifixit instructions very carefully to see if perhaps there is something you missed or perhaps damaged during the process.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply, and yes that is exactly what I tried to do, I went over the disassembling steps one more time to make sure that I got everything back to it's place but I still cant manage to figure out what's wrong.

On the airport card there's 3 antenna wires that I disconnected and reconnected, not sure if I put them back in the right order, but I suspect that it might have something to do with my problem? I tried to lookup the right order of those wires but I can't find any clear answers online.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting the antenna wires on the airport card wrong is not going to affect the boot up problem you're running into. You stated above that you removed the SSD; which type is installed in your model? Is it the blade type?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies chscag, Yes my SSD type is blade (just googled it, looks exactly like mine) I have to mention that I tried booting up the Macbook into bootcamp once more and it did bootup to Windows 10 but for some reason the GPU driver was uninstalled for some reason, I went ahead and reinstalled it, restarted the Macbook and the same problem mentioned above happened with me again..
I believe its gpu related, I might've messed up the gpu wiring maybe? If you could point me to where I can double check on GPU related wiring that would be awesome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The GPU for your MacBook Pro is integrated and unless you tore into the logic board somehow, it should not be affected. The symptoms you describe sound more like the SSD acting up. That's why I asked about whether it was the blade type. I can't be sure but I believe removing and replacing that particular SSD may require extreme care and protection from electro-static discharges. Did you use a wrist band?

Do you have a spare hard drive that's bootable? If you do, try booting your MacBook Pro from it to see if you get a clean boot. That would give you some idea of where to look if the machine boots OK from an external hard drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, I have a dedicated GT750M Nvidia gpu in my MacBook Pro late 2013, that's why I'm wondering
And yes, I have a Macbook Air 2014 and I tried taking the SSD from the macbook air and putting it in the macbook pro, I booted up bootcamp and installed the Nvidia driver, rebooted and ran into the same issue.

Also tried booting into MacOs and it got stuck on 50% progress bar under the apple logo :/
I really think it's an Nvidia issue, might be a botched wiring issue on my end..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, another test then you can try if you think the GPU is somehow at fault.... attach an external monitor to your MacBook Pro to see if you can get a good display. Also, even though your GPU is dedicated (sorry I didn't know which version you had) it's still surface mounted to the logic board. I really don't see how you could have messed that up? And you really should try to boot your MacBook Pro from an external hard drive via USB to eliminate any internal problems with the SSD connection.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have an external monitor, and btw I have an update, I tried booting in verbose mode, a bunch of text showed on the screen, it just froze there for 15 seconds then it shut the macbook down, now I can't even power it up again.. what's happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you tried using and running the Apple Hardware Test (AHT)??

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/25/how-to-use-apple-hardware-test-to-diagnose-mac-problems/

It might help before taking the MBPro and any old dust to some Mac fixit place that's familiar with those Macs. I'm assuming (bad thing) that it was running properly before it was disassembled to clean out any crap and dust balls etc.

I'm also curious for your reason for "… deciding[sic] to clean my Macbook pro completely from the inside few days ago"????

- Patrick
==========

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey Patrick, I tried running hardware test on the macbook and everything checked out, and no I wasn't facing any problems prior to me deciding to clean it, except for when the macbook overheats while idle for no reason, also when I opened it the dirt was stacked and melted on the insides of the fan, I had to scrub it out, I had this macbook for 3 years and I've never cleaned it before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.