MacBook startup help.

Reaction score
ok I have the following MacBook Pro and it works fine except for startup ever since I updated to Catalina. It takes abo 10 minutes to startup where I can do anything, what is going on? I mainly us it for streaming to my DAC.
Any help would be appreciated.
MacBook 13 mid. 2012
macOS 10.15.4
2.5Gh Dual Core i5
8Gb 1600MHz DDR3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would suspect that it is because that old system may have a rotating drive and Catalina is ugly-slow on rotating drives. What system was on there before you upgraded to Catalina? If you jumped over several versions, you would not have seen the issue before because the changes started in High Sierra, then Mojave before Catalina. On the other hand, if booting is the only issue, just don't boot that often. Leave it running, ut to sleep, instead of booting. Wakeup may, repeat may, be slightly faster than booting.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. Wish I could get a SSD installed.

Why can't you? Easy to do on your model MacBook Pro and prices have come down on SSDs.

Jake gave you the link for Mac Sales. Good place to buy.

And www.ifixit.com has instructions.

By the way, if you decide to install a SSD, also change out the SATA cable. The ifixit site and Mac Sales sells them. It's easy to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As above. The ifixit site or Mac Sales will sell you the SATA cable that you need.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You order the specific SATA cable for your model MacBook Pro. If you still can't figure it out, give Mac Sales a call on their 800 line. They will be happy to assist you. Or look it up on the ifixit site.

But just in case you would still rather complain about our reply instead of looking it up, here it is:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.