MacBook screen problem

Reaction score
the screen became like this after a drop yesterday

jW1fpvb.jpg

I went to apple store and they asked me to book an appointment online, but there isn't any appointment available for me to book. so I wanna know during my 'waiting' period, if there is any app that I can change the size of the display instead of the resolution of a mac? as in something like the pic below so I can use it as normal thanks!

note-3-one-handed-operation-645x401.jpg

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you give us more info...like why would you want to do what is pictured in the photo? If we understand better what you want to be able to do...that may help.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The post was moderated Nick which is why he posted again and hasn't answered. I took it out of moderation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP edited post after I replied as well…semi answering my question without actually replying in a separate post.

But the OP still hasn't explained what the problem is…or why they want to do it (my question).

- Nick

p.s. I don't think that it was in moderation when I initially replied. OP's edit added a 2nd photo…which may have put it into moderation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
It looks like he is looking for an app to resize his display so that he can use his dock and what not. I know not of any app that can do that personally, but you may be able to make the dock more usable by clicking on the apple->system preferences->dock->and then move it to a different side of the screen. How did the laptop fall? Like where did it hit?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did the laptop fall? Like where did it hit?

Thanks for mentioning that. OP edited their post after I replied…and the "drop" information was added after the Edit.

I think that since a "drop" was involved…OP DEFINITELY needs to see Apple. Unfortunately…accidents are not covered with Applecare…so not sure how this will turn out for the OP.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that. OP edited their post after I replied…and the "drop" information was added after the Edit.

I think that since a "drop" was involved…OP DEFINITELY needs to see Apple. Unfortunately…accidents are not covered with Applecare…so not sure how this will turn out for the OP.

- Nick

I will probably not fix it if its too expensive, I heard that it would be around £600 (in UK) to have a screen replacement but I haven't gone to an apple store yet since there are NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME! the screen doesnt bother me too much as the upper half is still usable and I have duet to get the screen onto my iPad. the only thing that I am wondering is if anyone could help me to read this: Duet Display — Can The iPad Be The Primary Screen?

it says that I need to 'disable account login on your Mac' but I have no idea how to do this, Do you guys know if I use parallel pc would I be able to get the os onto a windows mode so that I can resize it to the one that fits this broken screen?? Thank you guys so much!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will probably not fix it if its too expensive, I heard that it would be around £600 (in UK) to have a screen replacement…

WOW…that is seriously expensive!!!

...but I haven't gone to an apple store yet since there are NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME!

Really wow! Are you saying that now matter how far ahead you try to schedule an appointment…there are no open slots? I usually can get an appointment the same day I need it (maybe not the most convenient time). Or the next day (at a more convenient time). Must be one busy Apple store!

...the screen doesnt bother me too much as the upper half is still usable…

What happens if you connect an external display to the computer? This may help determine if the problem is the display or the logic board (heck who knows…maybe just a damaged or loose video cable).

When drops occur…almost anything can happen. And just because the problem is with the display…doesn't necessarily mean the problem IS WITH the display hardware.

But if it was a damaged display or a damaged logic board…either of these would be bad news (too expensive to repair). But it could be a loose or damaged video cable…which would be a MUCH better situation.

...and I have duet to get the screen onto my iPad. the only thing that I am wondering is if anyone could help me to read this:...

I'm not familiar with it. But this "Duet" app sounds like a screen sharing/2nd display app to use with an iPad.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
WOW…that is seriously expensive!!!

Really wow! Are you saying that now matter how far ahead you try to schedule an appointment…there are no open slots? I usually can get an appointment the same day I need it (maybe not the most convenient time). Or the next day (at a more convenient time). Must be one busy Apple store!

What happens if you connect an external display to the computer? This may help determine if the problem is the display or the logic board (heck who knows…maybe just a damaged or loose video cable).

When drops occur…almost anything can happen. And just because the problem is with the display…doesn't necessarily mean the problem IS WITH the display hardware.

But if it was a damaged display or a damaged logic board…either of these would be bad news (too expensive to repair). But it could be a loose or damaged video cable…which would be a MUCH better situation.

I'm not familiar with it. But this "Duet" app sounds like a screen sharing/2nd display app to use with an iPad.

- Nick

yes its expensive, I will probably fix it when I have money, can never really get an actual quote from apple coz they don't allow walk-in fixes. All 3 London apple stores are always running out of available appointments.

I walked in today and they said they couldn't do anything for me but asked me to book an appointment online :/ I really shouldn't have got a mac but a drop-proof computer-.- , I don't think its a problem with the logic board coz when I use duet display everything shows up fine.

If its cheaper to fix it manually I will probably do this, I just want to know what that thing disable logins thing is and where to find this option button :/ thanks for replying!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really shouldn't have got a mac but a drop-proof computer-.- ,

When you find one of these…let me know. Other than laptops made for the military…not many computers that are "drop-proof"!;) Any windows laptop wouldn't have faired any better.

...don't think its a problem with the logic board coz when I use duet display everything shows up fine.

Duet Display appears to be a software "thing". Connecting a external monitor to your computer (via a cable) is a hardware "thing"…and may or may not give different results.

If its cheaper to fix it manually I will probably do this...

It almost always is…since you save on labor…and can sometimes source used parts (which are less expensive). But first we would need to figure out exactly what's wrong or broken.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
L
Reaction score
OP
L
Reaction score
When you find one of these…let me know. Other than laptops made for the military…not many computers that are "drop-proof"!;) Any windows laptop wouldn't have faired any better.

Duet Display appears to be a software "thing". Connecting a external monitor to your computer (via a cable) is a hardware "thing"…and may or may not give different results.

It almost always is…since you save on labor…and can sometimes source used parts (which are less expensive). But first we would need to figure out exactly what's wrong or broken.

- Nick

OK, I will get a thunderbolt port to connect to a monitor soon and see if its a hardware problem! I understand I was being very careless, but once it happened, I will forever be more cautious about it, thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for helping out. I just got the computer fixed and collected. its all working ok now and it turned out to be less expensive than I thought £333.

but I think next time if I get a computer I won't buy apple ones, it took so long for the whole process, firstly booking an appointment (had to stay up till 12 to do that) and then wait for a week till the appointment comes, and then took 5 working days to fix it. it was so inefficient!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your London Apple stores must either be understaffed or over worked. I realize that 3 stores for a very large city such as London probably stay busy all the time, but the wait time for an appointment there seems excessive. I can usually walk into my local Apple store without an appointment and maybe wait for an hour or so before getting to the genius bar. Of course on a Saturday that doesn't go well but generally for week days it's easy.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your London Apple stores must either be understaffed or over worked. I realize that 3 stores for a very large city such as London probably stay busy all the time, but the wait time for an appointment there seems excessive. I can usually walk into my local Apple store without an appointment and maybe wait for an hour or so before getting to the genius bar. Of course on a Saturday that doesn't go well but generally for week days it's easy.

Its understandable that they are busy, but in Hong Kong, when taking e.g. a sony device / samsung device to their service centre, it would only take like an hour to queue (they give you a slip with a number so you can go out for a bit during the wait), and usually can get the device back within 5 days. Apple comparatively is so inefficient. :(

and this is not the only time I had a bad time with apple support, last time file vault was not running properly on the mac and somehow when I was following the apple support discussion page instructions the hard drive got locked, I took it in for service (had originally needed to wait for 7 days for the appointment but they let me in early as I kept emphasising that I got the computer only for 2 days) and the guy at the genius bar googled some commands to type...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.